East Ham hit-and-run driver who hospitalised three family members jailed
- Credit: PA Archive/Press Association Ima
A teenager who mowed down a grandmother and her two children as they crossed the road in East Ham has been jailed for 28 months.
Haris Najeeb, 19, of St Martin’s Avenue, East Ham, left grandmother Khalida Bibi, 57, with head injuries, two broken legs and broken ribs after his blue Ford Focus hit them at a traffic island in Central Park Road on October 27, 2016.
Mum-of-five Khalida was thrown violently into the air as a result of the crash and later had to undergo surgery.
Her 11-year-old grandson suffered a broken nose while her granddaughter, also 11, received cuts and bruises.
Najeeb was jailed for 28 months at Snaresbrook Crown Court yesterday after pleading guilty to three offences at an earlier hearing on May 2.
You may also want to watch:
The East Ham resident was sentenced to two years’ imprisonment for causing serious injury by dangerous driving and four months’ imprisonment for failing to stop at the scene of a crash.
Both sentences will run concurrently. He is also banned from driving for three years and must take an extended re-test.
- 1 Call for 'zero tolerance' crackdown on Newham gangs
- 2 Election 2021: Live updates for GLA, by-election and referendum
- 3 Woman arrested in Custom House fatal stabbing and shooting investigation
- 4 Guilty: 'Depraved' rapist who targeted and robbed lone women at night
- 5 Man hit by car in alleged Canning Town 'fight' dies from injuries
- 6 Fly-tippers dump loft insulation, building waste and sink on Wanstead Flats
- 7 Leyton Orient defender Josh Coulson set to depart
- 8 Teenagers killed in London in 2021 so far nears 2020 total
- 9 12 countries announced on travel green list from May 17
- 10 Elections: London mayor and Assembly member, East Ham cllr and referendum
The teenager also admitted driving with no insurance.