East Ham stab victim MP pays tribute after Jo Cox attack
- Credit: Archant
The MP for East Ham last night paid tributes to colleague Jo Cox after she was stabbed and shot to death in “very similiar circumstances” to the attack on him six years ago.
Stephen Timms praised “a wonderful MP, and a wonderful person” after the Labour MP for Batley and Spen was attacked after leaving a constituency surgery in West Yorkshire at around 1pm yesterday afternoon.
The 41-year-old died an hour after the attack outside the public library in Birstall, leaving huband Brendan and two children, aged three and five.
Stephen Timms, 60, said he was “shocked and appalled by the terrible news”.
“Jo was a wonderful MP, and a wonderful person. I – and everybody else – had been very impressed since her election last year.”
You may also want to watch:
“The circumstances appear very similar to those when I was attacked six years ago.”
Mr Timms was stabbed twice in the stomach at a constituency event in May 2010, while holding a surgery at the Beckton Globe Library.
- 1 Jailed man caught with knife in Stratford to be handed court order
- 2 Cause of death remains unknown after body found in disused Forest Gate pub
- 3 Worshippers at mosque in Upton Park aim to raise £35k for Royal British Legion's Poppy Appeal 2021
- 4 Body found in derelict pub in Forest Gate
- 5 Tom Hiddleston to appear as MCM Comic Con returns to ExCeL London in Royal Docks
- 6 Hundreds arrested after police crackdown on county lines
- 7 Forest Gate triple shooting: 'Safety is everybody's business,' councillor says
- 8 Thames Barrier closing for 200th time amid potential east London flooding
- 9 Man given community order for 26 counts of criminal damage after scratching name into property
- 10 Charity provides free breakfasts for 561 vulnerable families over half term
His attacker, a then 21-year-old student Roshonara Choudhry, of Central Park Road, East Ham, was jailed for a minimum of 15 years.
He added: “I would like to express deepest condolences to Jo’s husband Brendan and their family. Although details remain unclear, it seems Jo was simply carrying out her job on behalf of her constituents.”
A 52-year-old man has been arrested in connection with the attack.