East Ham sex ring suspect faces November retrial
An East Ham man accused of being part of a sex ring is facing a retrial in November after a jury failed to reach a verdict.
Last month, Anas Iqbal, of Newham Way, was tried at Snaresbrook Crown Court for claims he raped one girl and and tried to rape another as part of a criminal gang operating across Barking and Redbridge.
The 25-year-old denies both charges and was aquitted of four other counts of rape and paying for the sexual services of a child.
The Crown Prosecution Service said he has been remanded in custody until his retrial at Snaresbrook Crown Court on November 5.
Fellow defendants Naeem Ahmed, of Westminster Gardens, Barking, Nabeel Ahmed, of Chadwell Heath Lane, Chadwell Heath, and Hassan Raza, also of Westminster Gardens, Barking, were found guilty of attacking a teenage girl.
You may also want to watch:
The girl, who was 18 at the time, told the court Nabeel, offered her a lift after seeing her fighting with a friend in Chadwell Heath.
He took her to a house where she met Naeem and Raza. In recorded video evidence played in court, she told how Naeem, 25, and Nabeel came into the bedroom they had given her for the night and got into her bed.
- 1 Body found in search for missing Newham man
- 2 Police officer jailed for GBH after injuring man in Forest Gate
- 3 Election candidate slams plans for Durning Hall in Forest Gate
- 4 Newham schoolchildren enjoy holiday activities as part of programme pilot
- 5 Tributes to 'hero' charity founder who dedicated life to Newham children
- 6 Jailed: Newham men who raped and robbed women in Hackney home
- 7 Newham pubs and bars reopening for outdoor service
- 8 Hundreds of customers descend on reopened retailers
- 9 Meet the candidates battling for votes in East Ham's by-election
- 10 Newham men who bought BMW M5 in £112,000 fraud sentenced
She was then raped by Naeem, then Nabeel, then Naeem again. In the morning, Raza appeared to offer sympathy to the girl before attempting to molest her.
Naeem and Nabeel, who are not related, were found guilty of rape and Raza was found guilty of sexual assault.
The trio will be sentenced on September 11.