East Ham sex ring suspect faces November retrial
An East Ham man accused of being part of a sex ring is facing a retrial in November after a jury failed to reach a verdict.
Last month, Anas Iqbal, of Newham Way, was tried at Snaresbrook Crown Court for claims he raped one girl and and tried to rape another as part of a criminal gang operating across Barking and Redbridge.
The 25-year-old denies both charges and was aquitted of four other counts of rape and paying for the sexual services of a child.
The Crown Prosecution Service said he has been remanded in custody until his retrial at Snaresbrook Crown Court on November 5.
Fellow defendants Naeem Ahmed, of Westminster Gardens, Barking, Nabeel Ahmed, of Chadwell Heath Lane, Chadwell Heath, and Hassan Raza, also of Westminster Gardens, Barking, were found guilty of attacking a teenage girl.
The girl, who was 18 at the time, told the court Nabeel, offered her a lift after seeing her fighting with a friend in Chadwell Heath.
He took her to a house where she met Naeem and Raza. In recorded video evidence played in court, she told how Naeem, 25, and Nabeel came into the bedroom they had given her for the night and got into her bed.
- 1 Newham primary schools top national league tables
- 2 'Strict licensing laws and pandemic to blame for Newham exodus,' letting agent claims
- 3 First Omicron case reported in Newham
- 4 Report: 'Significant improvement' in Newham's parks
- 5 Service users overcharged total of £5m by council accounting 'screw up'
- 6 Man jailed for rape after attacking woman walking back from Canning Town
- 7 Plans to cut up to 600 Tube station jobs amid TfL 'funding crisis'
- 8 12 people wanted after unlinked Newham robberies
- 9 Things to do in east London this weekend
- 10 Play gives young people insight on violence against women
She was then raped by Naeem, then Nabeel, then Naeem again. In the morning, Raza appeared to offer sympathy to the girl before attempting to molest her.
Naeem and Nabeel, who are not related, were found guilty of rape and Raza was found guilty of sexual assault.
The trio will be sentenced on September 11.