East Ham sex ring suspect faces November retrial
An East Ham man accused of being part of a sex ring is facing a retrial in November after a jury failed to reach a verdict.
Last month, Anas Iqbal, of Newham Way, was tried at Snaresbrook Crown Court for claims he raped one girl and and tried to rape another as part of a criminal gang operating across Barking and Redbridge.
The 25-year-old denies both charges and was aquitted of four other counts of rape and paying for the sexual services of a child.
The Crown Prosecution Service said he has been remanded in custody until his retrial at Snaresbrook Crown Court on November 5.
Fellow defendants Naeem Ahmed, of Westminster Gardens, Barking, Nabeel Ahmed, of Chadwell Heath Lane, Chadwell Heath, and Hassan Raza, also of Westminster Gardens, Barking, were found guilty of attacking a teenage girl.
You may also want to watch:
The girl, who was 18 at the time, told the court Nabeel, offered her a lift after seeing her fighting with a friend in Chadwell Heath.
He took her to a house where she met Naeem and Raza. In recorded video evidence played in court, she told how Naeem, 25, and Nabeel came into the bedroom they had given her for the night and got into her bed.
- 1 Bus crashes into lamp post in Stratford
- 2 Start Me Up: Rolling Stones legend Ronnie Wood opens studio in Canning Town for budding musicians
- 3 East Ham cannabis farm raided by police
- 4 Transfer round-up: Leyton Orient bring in eight as departures find new clubs
- 5 Appeal to help find cat missing from Canning Town
- 6 Leyton Orient could be without key forwards for season opener at Salford
- 7 Meet the weight-loss runner using Newham as a canvas
- 8 'It's about safety': Manor Park neighbours urge council to crack down on pavement parking
- 9 Jailed: 'Violent' Beckton man who threatened to chop off ex-partner's head
- 10 Moyes: It was a good, tough test for West Ham at Brentford
She was then raped by Naeem, then Nabeel, then Naeem again. In the morning, Raza appeared to offer sympathy to the girl before attempting to molest her.
Naeem and Nabeel, who are not related, were found guilty of rape and Raza was found guilty of sexual assault.
The trio will be sentenced on September 11.