East Ham pair jailed for gun and drug offences
Two men from East Ham have been sentenced in connection with firearms and drugs offences.
Zahid Ali, 22, of Halley Road, received a total of 9 years while Babbar Jaleel, 24, of Thorpe Road, was jailed for 3 years and 3 months.
At Inner London Crown Court Ali was found guilty of possession of a firearm with intent to endanger life after a sub-machine gun, ammunition, silencers, vast quantities of cannabis and extensive equipment for the distribution of the drug along with �11,000 cash was recovered.
Jaleel had earlier pleaded guilty to conspiracy to supply cannabis.
The firearm, a 9mm Luger sub-machine gun, was recovered by police from an abandoned Honda Accord parked in Sidney Road, Forest Gate, of which Ali had the keys.
You may also want to watch:
He also had the keys to a Toyota Avensis, parked on Overton Drive, Wanstead, where on August 21 a large quantity of cannabis had been recovered.
A search of Jaleel’s address recovered more cannabis worth in excess of �3,000, �11,000 cash and vast paraphernalia for the package and distribution of the drugs.
- 1 Halal butcher's aiming to be 'Harrods of meat industry' opens in Stratford
- 2 Parking space row sees police called and woman left feeling 'vulnerable'
- 3 Car abandoned after triple shooting and stabbing at Forest Gate barber
- 4 'Simply horrifying': Newham MPs react after stabbing of Sir David Amess
- 5 Forest Gate townhouses scoop RIBA's Neave Brown award for 'affordable' housing
- 6 Plan to transform Royal Docks into 'world-leading' cultural hub unveiled
- 7 Family given 'gift' of week to say goodbye to son who died at 10 minutes old
- 8 14 charged with alleged drug dealing and money laundering offences
- 9 Beckton man due to be sentenced for sexual assault of young girl
- 10 'Hi-tech AI' butcher's shop opening in Stratford
Jurors heard that on August 24 last Ali was seen carrying out a drugs deal with Babbar Jaleel in Thorpe Road.
Ali had come to police attention when on June 9 he was seen on Derby Road around the time that police executed a search warrant within residential premises. As a result police found a loaded Baikal handgun and ammunition as well as drugs. Forensic evidence later linked Ali to the items. The second silencer found on August 24 also fitted Baikal while the mix of ammunition was also the same as that was later recovered in street.
Jaleel, admitted conspiracy to supply cannabis at an earlier hearing.
Ali was convicted of possessing a firearm with intent to endanger life and conspiracy to supply cannabis.