East Ham man jailed for outraging public decency on Tube
- Credit: BTP
An East Ham man who touched himself inappropriately in front of women on the Tube has been jailed for 12 weeks.
Tsvetomir Georgiev, of Bendish Road, admitted four charges of outraging public decency when he appeared at Highbury and Islington Magistrates’ Court on Monday.
The court heard how the 25-year-old boarded trains during quiet periods, mostly late at night, and sat opposite lone women.
He began to touch himself inappropriately in front of them while trying to engage most of them in conversation and taking steps to ensure they knew what he was doing.
Det Con Allan McTaggart said: “Georgiev put these women in considerable fear when he chose to target them. I would like to thank all of them for their bravery in reporting these incidents to police.
You may also want to watch:
“I have no doubt that they have prevented further incidents and other women being targeted by this offender.
“British Transport Police take every incident of this nature extremely seriously and remain committed to making the railway a hostile environment for criminals.”
- 1 Jailed man caught with knife in Stratford to be handed court order
- 2 Worshippers at mosque in Upton Park aim to raise £35k for Royal British Legion's Poppy Appeal 2021
- 3 Cause of death remains unknown after body found in disused Forest Gate pub
- 4 Man given community order for 26 counts of criminal damage after scratching name into property
- 5 Body found in derelict pub in Forest Gate
- 6 Forest Gate triple shooting: 'Safety is everybody's business,' councillor says
- 7 Hundreds arrested after police crackdown on county lines
- 8 Thames Barrier closing for 200th time amid potential east London flooding
- 9 Children demand action on global warming at Upton Park protest
- 10 Newham mathematician to fill in for Countdown presenter and expectant mum Rachel Riley
Siwan Hayward, TfL’s Director of Enforcement and On-Street Operations, said: “Nobody should be made to feel uncomfortable when travelling and the brave women who have come forward have helped to put this persistent pervert behind bars.
“We do not tolerate unwanted sexual behaviour on our network and will continue to work with the BTP to eradicate this kind of vile behaviour.”