East Ham man jailed for outraging public decency on Tube
- Credit: BTP
An East Ham man who touched himself inappropriately in front of women on the Tube has been jailed for 12 weeks.
Tsvetomir Georgiev, of Bendish Road, admitted four charges of outraging public decency when he appeared at Highbury and Islington Magistrates’ Court on Monday.
The court heard how the 25-year-old boarded trains during quiet periods, mostly late at night, and sat opposite lone women.
He began to touch himself inappropriately in front of them while trying to engage most of them in conversation and taking steps to ensure they knew what he was doing.
Det Con Allan McTaggart said: “Georgiev put these women in considerable fear when he chose to target them. I would like to thank all of them for their bravery in reporting these incidents to police.
You may also want to watch:
“I have no doubt that they have prevented further incidents and other women being targeted by this offender.
“British Transport Police take every incident of this nature extremely seriously and remain committed to making the railway a hostile environment for criminals.”
- 1 Changes to controversial Newham parking scheme announced
- 2 'It must be urgently addressed': New research into BAME Covid impact
- 3 Violent gang stuff sock in elderly woman's mouth and steal her jewellery
- 4 Leyton Orient boss Embleton could rotate team for Bolton trip
- 5 Artist plans window exhibition to put Newham's artistic talent on the map
- 6 Police appeal for help after woman raped in Beckton
- 7 'Clearly insufficient' - Canning Town teacher in charge of foodbank talks free school meal hampers
- 8 West Ham forward Alisha Lehmann joins Everton on loan
- 9 This is what we want to show everyone says Hammers star Tomas Soucek
- 10 Police release image after teenager stabbed in Forest Gate robbery
Siwan Hayward, TfL’s Director of Enforcement and On-Street Operations, said: “Nobody should be made to feel uncomfortable when travelling and the brave women who have come forward have helped to put this persistent pervert behind bars.
“We do not tolerate unwanted sexual behaviour on our network and will continue to work with the BTP to eradicate this kind of vile behaviour.”