East Ham man jailed for killing cousin
A killer who stabbed his cousin for stealing his mobile phone was on licence at the time having been released from prison after serving half of a 30-month sentence for a string of burglaries.
Anthony Townsend, of Wellstead Road, East Ham, spent hours tracking down 33-year-old Winston Brown after dropping the handset in a taxi they were sharing.
He found the drug user at a crack den, where he grabbed a serrated kitchen knife and plunged it into his chest.
Townsend, 32, was cleared of murder but found guilty of manslaughter after a trial at the Old Bailey.
Jailing him indefinitely with a minimum term of six years, Judge Peter Thornton QC told him he would not be released until the parole board decided he was no longer a danger to the public.
You may also want to watch:
He said: “By your deliberate, calculated and swift act, you took the life of your cousin. This offence arose out of your selfish and self-centred concern for your telephone, which you seem to have placed above the rather more basic human need to preserve life.”
The attack took place at a house in Brunel Road, Walthamstow, just before 8am on April 1. Townsend, who has 47 previous convictions, previously served six years’ jail for stabbing a man through the cheek as he tried to steal a till from an east London shop in 1999, the court heard.
- 1 Halal butcher's aiming to be 'Harrods of meat industry' opens in Stratford
- 2 Car abandoned after triple shooting and stabbing at Forest Gate barber
- 3 Parking space row sees police called and woman left feeling 'vulnerable'
- 4 'Simply horrifying': Newham MPs react after stabbing of Sir David Amess
- 5 14 charged with alleged drug dealing and money laundering offences
- 6 Forest Gate townhouses scoop RIBA's Neave Brown award for 'affordable' housing
- 7 Plan to transform Royal Docks into 'world-leading' cultural hub unveiled
- 8 Beckton man due to be sentenced for sexual assault of young girl
- 9 Family given 'gift' of week to say goodbye to son who died at 10 minutes old
- 10 Man in critical condition after triple shooting in Newham