East Ham man gets five years on sex offenders register
A man from East Ham has been placed on the sex offenders register for five years after sexually assaulting a woman at West Ham underground station.
Andrej Novosiolov, 33, of Market Street, East Ham, was also sentenced to 16 weeks’ imprisonment, suspended for 12 months, for the attack and for assaulting two security guards at the station and had an offensive weapon in his possession.
The 30-year-old victim arrived at the station on a Jubilee Line train at 8.20pm on Tuesday, 3 June.
DC Jennifer Brown, who led the investigation, said: “She made her way to the concourse via the escalators and while walking along a corridor she was touched inappropriately by Novosiolov as he walked past.
“The victim confronted Novosiolov and followed him though the station, trying to take a photo of him with her phone.
“When she came across two station security guards she alerted them and they attempted to stop Novosiolov, but he began fighting.”
The court heard how officers from British Transport Police and the Metropolitan Police Service arrived a short time later and arrested Novosiolov.
- 1 Stratford roof-terrace restaurant destroyed by late-night fire
- 2 Homes under the Planner: Applications lodged and approved in Newham
- 3 The Queen’s Platinum Jubilee flypast: Where, and when, the planes will fly over north and east London
- 4 Man dies after falling unwell in Stratford
- 5 Queen’s Platinum Jubilee: Street parties and road closures in Newham
- 6 Man held in murder probe after woman fatally stabbed in Custom House
- 7 Man charged with fatal stabbing of woman in Custom House
- 8 Two teenagers charged after 12 phones nicked in stealing spree
- 9 'Unexplained': Man dies after being found unresponsive in Plashet Park
- 10 Wanted: Five people Newham police wish to speak to
He was in possession of a pair of nun chucks and was charged on Wednesday, June 4.
He appeared for sentencing on Wednesday, August 20 at Thames Magistrates’ Court, after pleading guilty at an earlier hearing.
Novosiolov’s full sentence was five years on the sex offenders register, 16 weeks’ imprisonment, suspended for 12 months, a 12-month supervision order, 90 hours’ unpaid work, and a 12-week alcohol-treatment programme.
DC Brown added: “This was understandably an upsetting incident for the victim and something nobody should have to experience.
“BTP will not tolerate any unwanted sexual behaviour on the rail network and will always fully investigate all incidents that are reported to us.”
Sexual offences that take place on the railway can be reported to BTP by calling 0800 40 50 40 or via text 61016.