East Ham drivers caught abusing blue badge scheme
- Credit: Newham Council
The drivers were caught during checks in the area by Newham Council.
People who abuse the blue badge scheme have been warned they could face the ‘‘full weight of the law” and prosecution.
It comes after a crack down by Newham Council last Wednesday in East Ham revealed one badge being used despite its owner having died.
They also discovered one blue badge being used although the owner had said they had never received it and a third badge being used without the person it belonged to.
All three drivers will now appear in court under the Road Traffic Regulation Act 1984. The maximum fine for blue badge misuse is £1,000.
In total the council checked 177 blue badges that were being used in East Ham.
Cllr Unmesh Desai, cabinet member for crime and anti-social behaviour, said those who abuse the system are denying a parking space to people in genuine need.
- 1 Jailed: Teen who inflicted life-changing injuries as he squirted acid in boy's face
- 2 Beckton children’s hospice given £5k to replace stolen garden equipment
- 3 New documentary on murders of women whose bodies were hidden in freezer
- 4 Revealed: Hackney, Islington and Newham are boroughs with most LTNs
- 5 Newham man among UK's 'most wanted fugitives' who may be hiding in Spain
- 6 Fake Dyson Airwrap and Primark baby toy among recent recalled items
- 7 'Time to end the injustice': Barts staff set to strike amid pay dispute
- 8 Man remains in critical condition after Stratford Station attack
- 9 Trust seeks extension to fire safety order after £35m hospital work delay
- 10 Coroner concerned with Barts NHS trust after woman 'unlawfully killed'
He said: “It’s disgraceful that some people continue to use a blue badge when their relative has passed away, denying others a much-needed parking place.
“Over the next few months the council will be combing the streets of the borough road by road making sure that blue badges are being used appropriately.
“I urge the courts to use the full weight of the law and impose the maximum penalty possible on those who take advantage of the system.”
Since June 2014 the council has prosecuted 17 people for blue badge misuse, which has resulted in a total of £2,649 in fines being issued to drivers.
To report suspected blue badge abuse contact Newham Council on 020 8430 2000.