East Ham drivers caught abusing blue badge scheme
- Credit: Newham Council
The drivers were caught during checks in the area by Newham Council.
People who abuse the blue badge scheme have been warned they could face the ‘‘full weight of the law” and prosecution.
It comes after a crack down by Newham Council last Wednesday in East Ham revealed one badge being used despite its owner having died.
They also discovered one blue badge being used although the owner had said they had never received it and a third badge being used without the person it belonged to.
All three drivers will now appear in court under the Road Traffic Regulation Act 1984. The maximum fine for blue badge misuse is £1,000.
You may also want to watch:
In total the council checked 177 blue badges that were being used in East Ham.
Cllr Unmesh Desai, cabinet member for crime and anti-social behaviour, said those who abuse the system are denying a parking space to people in genuine need.
- 1 Newham to start weekly recycling collections
- 2 Anonymous tip off could hold key to murder of Sami Sidhom three years later
- 3 Town hall chiefs back £3m purchase of Plaistow property for rough sleeper centre
- 4 Police officer jailed for GBH after injuring man in Forest Gate
- 5 Operose: Addressing 'understandable' concerns over GP takeover
- 6 Housing campaigners to stage protest in Canning Town over empty homes
- 7 Body found in search for missing Newham man
- 8 Women's FA Cup: West Ham 11 Chichester & Selsey 0
- 9 Jailed: Newham men who raped and robbed women in Hackney home
- 10 Santino Dymiter murder: Teens given life terms for 'savage' gang killing
He said: “It’s disgraceful that some people continue to use a blue badge when their relative has passed away, denying others a much-needed parking place.
“Over the next few months the council will be combing the streets of the borough road by road making sure that blue badges are being used appropriately.
“I urge the courts to use the full weight of the law and impose the maximum penalty possible on those who take advantage of the system.”
Since June 2014 the council has prosecuted 17 people for blue badge misuse, which has resulted in a total of £2,649 in fines being issued to drivers.
To report suspected blue badge abuse contact Newham Council on 020 8430 2000.