East Ham death sparks murder inquiry
- Credit: PA Wire/Press Association Images
Detectives have launched a murder investigation following the death of an elderly man in East Ham.
Police were called around 7.30pm last night to reports of a man having been killed at an address in Burges Road.
Officers and London Ambulance Service staff found a man, who is thought to be 68 years old, suffering head injuries but he was later pronounced dead at the scene. His next of kin have been informed.
A 27-year-old man was arrested at the scene on suspicion of murder and taken into custody at an east London police station where he remains.
The Homicide and Serious Crime Command is investigating.
You may also want to watch:
Although detectives believe they know the man’s identity, they have not publicly released the details.
A post-mortem is due to be carried out later this afternoon. An inquest is expected to be opened on Monday.
- 1 Engineering student wins place at Princeton University
- 2 West Ham United reveal 2021/22 Umbro Third Kit
- 3 Free fitness sessions on offer in Newham as parkrun returns
- 4 Ex-McDonald's crew member in final of national awards honouring those shaping business world
- 5 West Ham sign World Cup-winning goalkeeper Alphonse Areola on loan
- 6 More than 20 places in Newham hit by flooding, council says
- 7 Forest Gate flats bid gets green light despite neighbours' objections
- 8 The secondary schools in Newham rated outstanding by Ofsted
- 9 Fried chicken outlet to open at Westfield in Stratford
- 10 Meet the Forest Gate pastor supporting athletes at Tokyo Olympics 2020
Anyone with information should call the incident room on 020 8345 3734 or call Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.