East Ham death sparks murder inquiry
- Credit: PA Wire/Press Association Images
Detectives have launched a murder investigation following the death of an elderly man in East Ham.
Police were called around 7.30pm last night to reports of a man having been killed at an address in Burges Road.
Officers and London Ambulance Service staff found a man, who is thought to be 68 years old, suffering head injuries but he was later pronounced dead at the scene. His next of kin have been informed.
A 27-year-old man was arrested at the scene on suspicion of murder and taken into custody at an east London police station where he remains.
The Homicide and Serious Crime Command is investigating.
You may also want to watch:
Although detectives believe they know the man’s identity, they have not publicly released the details.
A post-mortem is due to be carried out later this afternoon. An inquest is expected to be opened on Monday.
- 1 Tributes to Newham cop who died after positive Covid-19 test
- 2 Police release image after teenager stabbed in Forest Gate robbery
- 3 Labour Party investigates second Newham councillor over antisemitism
- 4 Arrests after girl, 16, falls onto tracks at King George V DLR
- 5 Lockdown in Newham having a 'positive' effect on Covid-19 case rate
- 6 Police appeal for help after woman raped in Beckton
- 7 NHS nurse assaulted at east London hospital
- 8 Newham housing association offers homes to Hackney Council with £10m price tag
- 9 Covid funding boost for Newham homeless and young people charities
- 10 Double murder accused remanded in custody over ‘brutal’ stabbings
Anyone with information should call the incident room on 020 8345 3734 or call Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.