East Ham death sparks murder inquiry
- Credit: PA Wire/Press Association Images
Detectives have launched a murder investigation following the death of an elderly man in East Ham.
Police were called around 7.30pm last night to reports of a man having been killed at an address in Burges Road.
Officers and London Ambulance Service staff found a man, who is thought to be 68 years old, suffering head injuries but he was later pronounced dead at the scene. His next of kin have been informed.
A 27-year-old man was arrested at the scene on suspicion of murder and taken into custody at an east London police station where he remains.
The Homicide and Serious Crime Command is investigating.
You may also want to watch:
Although detectives believe they know the man’s identity, they have not publicly released the details.
A post-mortem is due to be carried out later this afternoon. An inquest is expected to be opened on Monday.
- 1 Second jabs hub opening at Westfield as ExCeL London vaccination centre soon to close
- 2 Ex-student who got MIT scholarship sets up tutor business to help others
- 3 'Council houses now': Protesters stage action over empty homes
- 4 Newham foster carers on 'most rewarding and uplifting experience'
- 5 Feminism, corner shops and bricks: Here's what's happening in Newham Heritage Month
- 6 Website helps disadvantaged youth understand job roles to raise aspirations
- 7 Anonymous tip off could hold key to murder of Sami Sidhom three years later
- 8 Newham to start weekly recycling collections
- 9 Police officer jailed for GBH after injuring man in Forest Gate
- 10 Call The Midwife stars meet Bonny Downs staff and families
Anyone with information should call the incident room on 020 8345 3734 or call Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.