East Ham dangerous driver jailed for four years
- Credit: Archant
An East Ham man described as a “considerable danger” has been jailed for more than four years for dangerous driving.
John Mehmet, 30, of Charlemont Road, was sentenced at Blackfriars Crown Court on August 12 for causing serious injury by dangerous driving, driving whilst disqualified and driving whilst uninsured.
The court heard that police attempted to stop Mehmet on Barnsbury Road, Islington, on January 14 as he was wanted on a number of warrants from different police forces.
He failed to stop and drove off, narrowly missing a police officer before colliding with a motorcyclist on Liverpool Road, who received minor injuries.
Police lost sight of Mehmet but was seen shortly afterwards driving on the opposite carriageway of St John Street, heading towards oncoming traffic.
You may also want to watch:
After speeding over a raised zebra crossing, he lost control of the vehicle and collided with another motorbike, which caught fire and left the rider with a broken leg and two broken wrists.
Mehmet’s car struck the kerb and rolled over twice, and he tried to flee from the scene but surrendered to a police dog unit.
- 1 Violent gang stuff sock in elderly woman's mouth and steal her jewellery
- 2 Changes to controversial Newham parking scheme announced
- 3 Our planet is in a terrible place
- 4 Council rents offices to ambulance service to save money
- 5 Covid vaccination hub opening in Westfield next week
- 6 Police appeal for help after woman raped in Beckton
- 7 Police release image after teenager stabbed in Forest Gate robbery
- 8 Leyton Orient boss is expecting more transfer movement in the window
- 9 What a load of old rubbish: Fly-tippers keep charity staff out of building
- 10 Arrests after girl, 16, falls onto tracks at King George V DLR
Described by the judge as a “considerable danger to the public and law officers”, Mehmet was disqualified from driving for six years in addition to his prison sentence of four years and two months.
He will be required to take an extended re-test before he can regain his licence.