Drug dealer jailed for attempted murder of Newham woman
- Credit: Archant
A drug dealer has been jailed for 26 years for the attempted murder of a woman in Newham.
Osei Kuffour, 25, was found guilty of shooting the 36-year-old victim in the face at her home in the morning of December 11, 2012.
Jurors at the Old Bailey heard how the woman regularly brought drugs from him and on that morning, there had been an exchange of words before he shot her with a revolver hand gun from less than a metre away.
The bullet lodged behind her cheekbone, requiring emergency surgery and months of medical treatment for her serious injuries.
On the same day, Kuffour, of Dock Road, Tilbury, was arrested as part of a proactive operation when he was found in possession of a large amount of money and with Class A drugs between his buttocks.
Further enquiries saw the recovery of the firearm used in the shooting.
The trial also saw him found guilty of possessing a prohibited weapon and ammunition as well as two counts of possessing a Class A drug with intent to supply.
- 1 Motorcyclist, 19, died in hospital after A13 crash near Beckton flyover
- 2 100 people leave Stratford block of flats after fire breaks out
- 3 Gallery: Hidden photos reveal London's East End in the 1960s
- 4 Jailed: Teen who inflicted life-changing injuries as he squirted acid in boy's face
- 5 New documentary on murders of women whose bodies were hidden in freezer
- 6 Newham man among UK's 'most wanted fugitives' who may be hiding in Spain
- 7 Covid patients numbers declining in east London hospitals
- 8 Man remains in critical condition after Stratford Station attack
- 9 Face coverings no longer mandatory indoors as England returns to Plan A
- 10 Guilty: East London criminals jailed in December 2021
Yesterday he was sentenced to spend time in prison for all offences, which are to run concurrently.
Det Insp Dave Coxell, from Newham’s Firearms and Gangs unit, said: “Osei Kuffour viciously and deliberately attacked a vulnerable woman in broad daylight outside her home in E16, with every intention of ending her life in a callous and violent manner.
“It is only to the victim’s credit that she has recovered to the extent that she has, and was able to bravely give evidence against her attacker.
“This lengthy sentence of Osei Kuffour sends a clear and powerful message to everyone concerned in drugs and gun crime that we will find you, prosecute you and we will put you in prison.”