Double murder at Forest Gate’s Sugar Lounge: Salesman admitted ‘I dove hitman to hospital to save him’

A salesman accused of organising a double murder outside a nightclub admitted to police that he drove the gunman to hospital, a court heard.

Nana Oppong, 32, was at first interviewed as a witness to the shooting of Patrick Ford, 36, and Eugene Brown, 27, at the Sugar Lounge in Forest Gate.

He told officers he had been celebrating his 30th birthday on the dance floor in the early hours of May 29 last year when he heard two shots.

Then as he left the club with other terrified party goers he heard another two shots, jurors were told.

Oppong told officers: “I saw a man (Eugene Brown) on the floor to my right and Patrick to my left.”

Jurors have heard that both men were shot by Michael Smith, 28, who was then chased and shot by Kevin Powell, 36.

Oppong told officers that as he was leaving the scene in a friend’s BMW X6 car he saw a man (Smith) running to his left.

Most Read

“I looked and he’s bleeding, he’s just running to get away. I open my back door, he just jumped into the car.”

“He didn’t even come through the door, and I realised when he jumped in, I see so much blood, I realise he’s getting shot.”

Oppong added: “I’m not the devil, I saved someone’s life, innit.”

The court heard he helped the man stagger to the front of the hospital before getting back into the car and going home.

When asked if he knew the man, Oppong replied: “I knew who he is from... I just knew him from around.”

The prosecution claim that Oppong acted as “director of operations” after Mr Brown fired into the ceiling of the Sugar Lounge.

It is claimed that CCTV shows him handing a weapon to Smith before both men head outside to confront Brown.

Three days after the shootings Oppong agreed to be interviewed by police as a witness.

Two months later he was interviewed as a suspect after detectives viewed CCTV from inside and outside the club.

Oppong, of West Road, Stratford, denies two counts of murder and possessing a firearm with intent to endanger life.

Powell, of Harlesden Road, Willesden, denies attempted murder and possession of a firearm with intent to endanger life.

The trial continues.