Crime shoots up in Newham during July
Newham had the highest crime levels in east London in July, police figures show.
Metropolitan Police statistics reveal a total of 2,855 incidents were reported during the month.
July was busier for officers than both May and June, which totted up figures of 2,787 and 2,681 respectively.
More than 1,500 complaints of antisocial behaviour made up the bulk of July’s incidents, while almost 600 complaints of violence against the person were recorded.
A total of 137 residential burglaries took place during the month, while 186 personal robberies were recorded.
You may also want to watch:
July’s crime figures dwarfed the 1,451 recorded in Barking and Dagenham, and topped the 2,425 in Hackney and 1,900 in Redbridge.
The figures do not take into account the period covering the Olympic Games.
- 1 Architects awarded £300K contract for Stratford Station makeover
- 2 Blaze under control at block of flats being built in Canning Town
- 3 Family of man who died after attack in Canning Town pays tribute to a 'loving, generous' father
- 4 Rumours over empty Stratford estate homes quashed in meeting
- 5 Flights from London City Airport to Switzerland resume as hub readies for return to international travel
- 6 Two Levels FC youngsters seal deals with Football League clubs
- 7 Stratford fast food shop destroyed by 'deep fat fryer' blaze
- 8 Pearce believes camaraderie has given West Ham a chance of making Europe
- 9 Mayor pledges to continue focus on election promises after Newham referendum result
- 10 Woman arrested in Custom House fatal stabbing and shooting investigation
But the Stratford and New Town ward appeared the most affected, with the 521 crimes reported about five times as high as most other wards in the borough.