Crime shoots up in Newham during July
Newham had the highest crime levels in east London in July, police figures show.
Metropolitan Police statistics reveal a total of 2,855 incidents were reported during the month.
July was busier for officers than both May and June, which totted up figures of 2,787 and 2,681 respectively.
More than 1,500 complaints of antisocial behaviour made up the bulk of July’s incidents, while almost 600 complaints of violence against the person were recorded.
A total of 137 residential burglaries took place during the month, while 186 personal robberies were recorded.
You may also want to watch:
July’s crime figures dwarfed the 1,451 recorded in Barking and Dagenham, and topped the 2,425 in Hackney and 1,900 in Redbridge.
The figures do not take into account the period covering the Olympic Games.
- 1 New developments given the green light in Newham so far this year
- 2 Forest Gate flats bid gets green light despite neighbours' objections
- 3 Steward admits lanyard theft ahead of Euro 2020 final
- 4 Free fitness sessions on offer in Newham as parkrun returns
- 5 Woodford Green and Forest Gate residents criticise councils over flooding
- 6 Grade II-listed building to become creative hub with £250k refurb
- 7 East London travel disruption round-up for the week ahead
- 8 Fried chicken outlet to open at Westfield in Stratford
- 9 Ricardo Fuller death: Men from Dagenham and Plaistow wanted in connection
- 10 Appeal after man allegedly 'spits at' woman travelling through Whitechapel, West Ham and Barking
But the Stratford and New Town ward appeared the most affected, with the 521 crimes reported about five times as high as most other wards in the borough.