Crime shoots up in Newham during July
Newham had the highest crime levels in east London in July, police figures show.
Metropolitan Police statistics reveal a total of 2,855 incidents were reported during the month.
July was busier for officers than both May and June, which totted up figures of 2,787 and 2,681 respectively.
More than 1,500 complaints of antisocial behaviour made up the bulk of July’s incidents, while almost 600 complaints of violence against the person were recorded.
A total of 137 residential burglaries took place during the month, while 186 personal robberies were recorded.
July’s crime figures dwarfed the 1,451 recorded in Barking and Dagenham, and topped the 2,425 in Hackney and 1,900 in Redbridge.
The figures do not take into account the period covering the Olympic Games.
- 1 Collision causes traffic delays on A13 near Canning Town
- 2 Westfield bar's licence under threat after girl raped
- 3 'Extremely violent' Forest Gate robbery filmed by onlookers
- 4 Multi-vehicle collision in Canning Town leads to one driver being cut free
- 5 Man masturbates on Central line train in front of two women
- 6 'We have been failed': Newham families face eviction by council
- 7 Man sentenced for illegal subletting of council home
- 8 Members of Mali Boys gang jailed for supplying Class A drugs into Essex
- 9 Chance of snow in London this weekend
- 10 Beckton man jailed for role in drugs gang after £2m cannabis plants seizure
But the Stratford and New Town ward appeared the most affected, with the 521 crimes reported about five times as high as most other wards in the borough.