Crime shoots up in Newham during July
Newham had the highest crime levels in east London in July, police figures show.
Metropolitan Police statistics reveal a total of 2,855 incidents were reported during the month.
July was busier for officers than both May and June, which totted up figures of 2,787 and 2,681 respectively.
More than 1,500 complaints of antisocial behaviour made up the bulk of July’s incidents, while almost 600 complaints of violence against the person were recorded.
A total of 137 residential burglaries took place during the month, while 186 personal robberies were recorded.
You may also want to watch:
July’s crime figures dwarfed the 1,451 recorded in Barking and Dagenham, and topped the 2,425 in Hackney and 1,900 in Redbridge.
The figures do not take into account the period covering the Olympic Games.
- 1 Violent gang stuff sock in elderly woman's mouth and steal her jewellery
- 2 Council rents offices to ambulance service to save money
- 3 Covid vaccination hub opening in Westfield next week
- 4 Police release image after teenager stabbed in Forest Gate robbery
- 5 Tributes to Newham cop who died after positive Covid-19 test
- 6 NHS nurse assaulted at east London hospital
- 7 What a load of old rubbish: Fly-tippers keep charity staff out of building
- 8 Police appeal for help after woman raped in Beckton
- 9 Arrests after girl, 16, falls onto tracks at King George V DLR
- 10 Double murder accused remanded in custody over ‘brutal’ stabbings
But the Stratford and New Town ward appeared the most affected, with the 521 crimes reported about five times as high as most other wards in the borough.