Crime map shows where crooks strike
AN online guide giving details of where crooks strike has gone live this week.
The Home Office site gives the most detailed picture to date of criminal activity revealing as it does month-on figures on a street-by-street basis.
Type in a postcode during a visit to www.police.uk and follow the stream and details will follow covering fields such as burglary, anti-social behaviour and violence.
Across Newham in December crime incidents totalled 2,332, down 820 on the previous month. By ward basis, the highest number of crimes was recorded in East Ham Central - 182 while the lowest was around East Ham North and Royal Docks at 70. All but one of the boroughs wards showed the traditional fall off in crime. The exception was Green Street East where the total rose fractionally to 95. Newham’s overall figures are around average with other London boroughs.
But while residents would welcome the interactive aid, not everyone is happy with the greater access to figures.
You may also want to watch:
Chartered surveyors say the revelations will lead to a falling of house prices while the Police Federation argue that criminals too can view them and avoid the worst streets knowing that policing would be higher.
- 1 Engineering student wins place at Princeton University
- 2 Grade II-listed building to become creative hub with £250k refurb
- 3 West Ham sign World Cup-winning goalkeeper Alphonse Areola on loan
- 4 Fried chicken outlet to open at Westfield in Stratford
- 5 Free fitness sessions on offer in Newham as parkrun returns
- 6 The secondary schools in Newham rated outstanding by Ofsted
- 7 More than 20 places in Newham hit by flooding, council says
- 8 'Life-saving' service at Canning Town homeless charity scoops £150k
- 9 Forest Gate flats bid gets green light despite neighbours' objections
- 10 Ex-McDonald's crew member in final of national awards honouring those shaping business world