Suspected thief arrested and five-inch blade seized during Stratford Station stop and searches
- Credit: Archant
A suspected thief was arrested and five-inch knife seized during a police crackdown on weapon enabled crime at Stratford Station.
Frederick Adjei, 21, from West Beckton, was charged with possessing a bladed article in a rush hour operation on Thursday carried out by the British Transport Police (BTP) which saw 30 stops in total – 15 of which were stop and searches.
A 34-year-old man was also arrested on suspicion of theft.
BTP’s Ch Insp John Loveless said: ‘These operations play an important part in keeping stations and trains safe and secure.
“In the past year we saw an increase in violent crime on the network, but it’s important to note the chances of becoming a victim remain incredibly low, with one journey in a million involving any kind of violence.
You may also want to watch:
“Reducing violence and preventing individuals carrying weapons remains a top priority, and operations such as these are designed to target and disrupt offenders intent on carrying weapons or being violent.”
He urged commuters to report any concerns by calling BTP on 0800 40 50 40 or texting 61016.
- 1 Call for 'zero tolerance' crackdown on Newham gangs
- 2 Election 2021: Live updates for GLA, by-election and referendum
- 3 Woman arrested in Custom House fatal stabbing and shooting investigation
- 4 Guilty: 'Depraved' rapist who targeted and robbed lone women at night
- 5 Fly-tippers dump loft insulation, building waste and sink on Wanstead Flats
- 6 Man hit by car in alleged Canning Town 'fight' dies from injuries
- 7 Leyton Orient defender Josh Coulson set to depart
- 8 Teenagers killed in London in 2021 so far nears 2020 total
- 9 12 countries announced on travel green list from May 17
- 10 Man fighting for life after being 'attacked and hit by car' in Canning Town