Council crackdown on garden litter
Newham Council is cracking down on front garden waste in an attempt to keep the borough clean after the Olympics.
A poster campaign will be launched warning residents they could face a �110 fine if old mattresses, bath tops and other rubbish is not removed within 28 days of receiving an enforcement notice.
Councils also have powers to issue fixed penalties of �80 to someone throwing litter in the street.
A council spokesman said: “We’re renewing our crackdown as part of the Olympic legacy. We don’t want to give the impression we just cleaned the borough up for the Games.”
The problem with dumped mattresses and other rubbish in front gardens is also known to led to fires and arson attacks in the past.
Councillor Unmesh Desai, executive member for crime and anti-social behaviour, said: “Waste dumped in gardens isn’t just unsightly. It’s an environmental problem attracting rats and other vermin.
“It lowers the tone of the whole street. We’re saying to the people who litter their gardens: This isn’t acceptable and we won’t stand for it. We’ll keep fining people until they remove it. We’re targeting the bad apples and doing this for the whole community.”
- 1 Guilty: Man murdered woman at bus stop and tried to kill another a day later
- 2 Man charged with Beckton murder as victim named
- 3 Maryland machete murderer found guilty - as police hunt second attacker
- 4 3 arrests after death of man found unresponsive in Beckton
- 5 Jailed: Forest Gate serial arsonist who started more than two dozen fires
- 6 Jailed: 8 east London offenders put behind bars in June
- 7 Revealed: Cause of terraced houses blaze in East Ham
- 8 Police officer sacked for 'turning blind eye’ to criminal husband
- 9 Have you seen Lisa, 47, who is missing from Forest Gate?
- 10 The Rolling Stones prove rock ‘n’ roll is alive and kicking at Hyde Park
The council offers a free service to remove large or bulky household waste.
Visit www.newham.gov.uk/YourEnvironment/WasteAndRecycling.htm for information on waste collection.