Cat found hanged in Canning Town garden
- Credit: Archant
A cat has been found hanged from a tree in what has been called an “absolutely disgusting” crime.
The tabby cat was discovered in a back garden in Caraway Close, Canning Town, yesterday.
Celia Hammond, from the Celia Hammond Animal Trust, told how the charity received a call at around 5pm and rushed over to try and save the cat, which was hanging from what appeared to be black plastic binding.
“She had shredded her claws, and we could see she had been trying to save herself scrabbling against the tree,” said Celia, who added the cat was dead when her team arrived.
“We had thought that the collar had got caught on the branch initially, but this was deliberate.
You may also want to watch:
“It was tied tightly around the neck and around the tree.”
Staff visited neighbouring properties to warn other cat owners to keep an eye on their pets following the incident.
- 1 Halal butcher's aiming to be 'Harrods of meat industry' opens in Stratford
- 2 Parking space row sees police called and woman left feeling 'vulnerable'
- 3 Car abandoned after triple shooting and stabbing at Forest Gate barber
- 4 'Simply horrifying': Newham MPs react after stabbing of Sir David Amess
- 5 Forest Gate townhouses scoop RIBA's Neave Brown award for 'affordable' housing
- 6 Family given 'gift' of week to say goodbye to son who died at 10 minutes old
- 7 14 charged with alleged drug dealing and money laundering offences
- 8 Plan to transform Royal Docks into 'world-leading' cultural hub unveiled
- 9 Beckton man due to be sentenced for sexual assault of young girl
- 10 'Hi-tech AI' butcher's shop opening in Stratford
Celia said: “The woman’s absolutely devastated. We gave her two sisters about a year ago and the remaining sister is really sad and very quiet.
“If someone’s capable of doing that, what else are they capable of doing?”
A Metropolitan Police spokeswoman confirmed that they had been called to the scene and that enquiries were ongoing.