Cat found hanged in Canning Town garden
- Credit: Archant
A cat has been found hanged from a tree in what has been called an “absolutely disgusting” crime.
The tabby cat was discovered in a back garden in Caraway Close, Canning Town, yesterday.
Celia Hammond, from the Celia Hammond Animal Trust, told how the charity received a call at around 5pm and rushed over to try and save the cat, which was hanging from what appeared to be black plastic binding.
“She had shredded her claws, and we could see she had been trying to save herself scrabbling against the tree,” said Celia, who added the cat was dead when her team arrived.
“We had thought that the collar had got caught on the branch initially, but this was deliberate.
You may also want to watch:
“It was tied tightly around the neck and around the tree.”
Staff visited neighbouring properties to warn other cat owners to keep an eye on their pets following the incident.
- 1 Engineering student wins place at Princeton University
- 2 West Ham sign World Cup-winning goalkeeper Alphonse Areola on loan
- 3 Grade II-listed building to become creative hub with £250k refurb
- 4 Free fitness sessions on offer in Newham as parkrun returns
- 5 The secondary schools in Newham rated outstanding by Ofsted
- 6 More than 20 places in Newham hit by flooding, council says
- 7 Fried chicken outlet to open at Westfield in Stratford
- 8 Ex-McDonald's crew member in final of national awards honouring those shaping business world
- 9 'Life-saving' service at Canning Town homeless charity scoops £150k
- 10 Forest Gate flats bid gets green light despite neighbours' objections
Celia said: “The woman’s absolutely devastated. We gave her two sisters about a year ago and the remaining sister is really sad and very quiet.
“If someone’s capable of doing that, what else are they capable of doing?”
A Metropolitan Police spokeswoman confirmed that they had been called to the scene and that enquiries were ongoing.