Canning Town stabbing: Murder victim named as 17-year-old Promise Nkenda
- Credit: Archant
A teenager stabbed to death in ‘a targeted attack’ in Canning Town yesterday has been named locally as Promise Nkenda.
The 17-year-old, who is said to be from North Woolwich, was stabbed repeatedly and found lying in the street shortly after 8pm in Goldwing Close.
Police pronounced him dead at the scene.
He had been walking with two friends when a four men in a vehicle chased the group down, said a neighbour who wished to remain anonymous.
“They jumped out and chased him and stabbed him up,” he said.
His friends are believed to have escaped unharmed.
Detectives have launched a murder investigation into the incident with no arrests so far.
- 1 Revealed: Hackney, Islington and Newham are boroughs with most LTNs
- 2 Moyes angered by late West Ham defeat at Old Trafford
- 3 New documentary on murders of women whose bodies were hidden in freezer
- 4 Coroner concerned with Barts NHS trust after woman 'unlawfully killed'
- 5 Jailed: Teen who inflicted life-changing injuries as he squirted acid in boy's face
- 6 Newham man among UK's 'most wanted fugitives' who may be hiding in Spain
- 7 Travel disruptions: Hackney, Islington, Tower Hamlets, Newham
- 8 East London boroughs lag behind rest of country for Covid booster uptake
- 9 Overnight blaze at North Woolwich block of flats
- 10 Man remains in critical condition after Stratford Station attack
Officers are trying to find out whether an abandoned vehicle found in Freemasons Road, near the junction with Victoria Dock Road, is linked to Promise’s murder.
Acting Det Insp Perry Benton, who is leading the murder hunt, said: “We are still piecing together what exactly has happened.
“But we believe the 17-year-old has lost his life following a sustained and possibly targeted attack.”
Witnesses or anyone with infiormation should call the incident room on 020 8345 3775, dial 101, or contact Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555111 quoting ref 8884/14FEB.