Canning Town stabbing: Murder victim named as 17-year-old Promise Nkenda
- Credit: Archant
A teenager stabbed to death in ‘a targeted attack’ in Canning Town yesterday has been named locally as Promise Nkenda.
The 17-year-old, who is said to be from North Woolwich, was stabbed repeatedly and found lying in the street shortly after 8pm in Goldwing Close.
Police pronounced him dead at the scene.
He had been walking with two friends when a four men in a vehicle chased the group down, said a neighbour who wished to remain anonymous.
“They jumped out and chased him and stabbed him up,” he said.
You may also want to watch:
His friends are believed to have escaped unharmed.
Detectives have launched a murder investigation into the incident with no arrests so far.
- 1 Man arrested after car smashes into house in Maryland
- 2 Foodbank offering lifeline to foreign students left destitute by pandemic
- 3 East Ham barber disappointed by Covid-19 lockdown easing roadmap
- 4 Traffic cameras installed to catch Newham drivers who ignore road signs
- 5 Person found dead on tracks at Plaistow Underground station
- 6 East Ham money laundering suspect arrested in people smuggling probe
- 7 Council loses court action against Barclays Bank
- 8 Leyton Orient boss Embleton on the six game winless run
- 9 Upminster killer boasted about hacking teen to death with machete in street
- 10 Guilty: Men from Forest Gate and East Ham who raped two women during brothel robbery
Officers are trying to find out whether an abandoned vehicle found in Freemasons Road, near the junction with Victoria Dock Road, is linked to Promise’s murder.
Acting Det Insp Perry Benton, who is leading the murder hunt, said: “We are still piecing together what exactly has happened.
“But we believe the 17-year-old has lost his life following a sustained and possibly targeted attack.”
Witnesses or anyone with infiormation should call the incident room on 020 8345 3775, dial 101, or contact Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555111 quoting ref 8884/14FEB.