Burglars steal over £50,000 worth of tools from Silvertown storage business
Burglars made off with £50,000 to £60,000 worth of tools from a storage business by disabling their electrical gate.
A man was seen to climb over the gate of the premises on Oriental Road, Silvertown, turn off the alarm system, and open it from the inside between 9.52pm and 10.50pm on Friday March 8.
A silver Ford connect van then pulled up with another three men who all helped to force open a number of shutters to storage rooms to steal the tools before driving off.
Pc Andy Whitfield, a Newham police crime prevention design advisor, said burglars often avoid alarms using inside information about the site, by cutting the signaling of the system, smashing strobe lights, or filling exterior alarm bells with foam to break into commercial premises.
Pc Whitfield added: “You may deter some potential burglars if you display evidence that you have fitted an intruder alarm. “Others may be scared off if they are breaking in and hear alarm bells go off.
“Burglars are deterred by CCTV cameras monitoring the outside or inside of the building at night and they can also help police to detect the burglars - but stringent codes of practice need to be followed including ensuring the date and time are incorporated into the recording before video evidence can be successfully used in prosecution.”
Valuable items can also be registered with the police for free at www.immobilise.com.
- 1 East London man charged with six terrorism offences
- 2 Warnings of ice across London amid plummeting temperatures
- 3 'Extremely violent' Forest Gate robbery filmed by onlookers
- 4 We need to put the ball in the net says Rice after West Ham defeat at City
- 5 Burglar posing as police officer 'preyed upon the elderly'
- 6 'We have been failed': Newham families face eviction by council
- 7 Westfield bar's licence under threat after girl raped
- 8 Multi-vehicle collision in Canning Town leads to one driver being cut free
- 9 Members of Mali Boys gang jailed for supplying Class A drugs into Essex
- 10 Man masturbates on Central line train in front of two women
Police are currently investigating the incident and no arrests have been made.