Burglars steal over £50,000 worth of tools from Silvertown storage business
Burglars made off with £50,000 to £60,000 worth of tools from a storage business by disabling their electrical gate.
A man was seen to climb over the gate of the premises on Oriental Road, Silvertown, turn off the alarm system, and open it from the inside between 9.52pm and 10.50pm on Friday March 8.
A silver Ford connect van then pulled up with another three men who all helped to force open a number of shutters to storage rooms to steal the tools before driving off.
Pc Andy Whitfield, a Newham police crime prevention design advisor, said burglars often avoid alarms using inside information about the site, by cutting the signaling of the system, smashing strobe lights, or filling exterior alarm bells with foam to break into commercial premises.
Pc Whitfield added: “You may deter some potential burglars if you display evidence that you have fitted an intruder alarm. “Others may be scared off if they are breaking in and hear alarm bells go off.
“Burglars are deterred by CCTV cameras monitoring the outside or inside of the building at night and they can also help police to detect the burglars - but stringent codes of practice need to be followed including ensuring the date and time are incorporated into the recording before video evidence can be successfully used in prosecution.”
Valuable items can also be registered with the police for free at www.immobilise.com.
- 1 Stratford roof-terrace restaurant destroyed by late-night fire
- 2 Homes under the Planner: Applications lodged and approved in Newham
- 3 Girl, 17, held on suspicion of terrorism offences after east London arrest
- 4 The Queen’s Platinum Jubilee flypast: Where, and when, the planes will fly over north and east London
- 5 Moyes gives warning after West Ham miss out on Europa League
- 6 Man charged with fatal stabbing of woman in Custom House
- 7 Queen’s Platinum Jubilee: Street parties and road closures in Newham
- 8 Man dies after falling unwell in Stratford
- 9 Man held in murder probe after woman fatally stabbed in Custom House
- 10 'Unexplained': Man dies after being found unresponsive in Plashet Park
Police are currently investigating the incident and no arrests have been made.