Burglar squeezed through half-opened window in Manor Park
A couple taking advantage of the warmer weather were targeted by a burglar on Monday who managed to squeeze through a half-opened window.
The 41-year-old man and 22-year-old woman had left the rest of their home in Selborne Avenue, Manor Park, locked and secure on bank holiday Monday without realising the kitchen window was slightly ajar.
The victims left just before 10pm and returned two hours later to find an intruder had rummaged through the house, stealing bank cards and cash.
Police believe the burglar entered through the half-opened window and left through the front door.
Officers are now appealing for anyone who may have seen or heard anything about the incident to contact Newham Burglary Squad on 020 8217 5085 or to remain anonymous, call Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.
You may also want to watch:
Det Sgt Ben Wayment, investigating, said: “This case shows the need to close and lock all the windows and doors in your home when leaving the property unoccupied, even if it’s only for a short time.
“Leaving windows open even a little is enough for a burglar to gain entry to your home.”
- 1 Newham to start weekly recycling collections
- 2 Anonymous tip off could hold key to murder of Sami Sidhom three years later
- 3 Town hall chiefs back £3m purchase of Plaistow property for rough sleeper centre
- 4 'Council houses now': Protesters stage action over empty homes
- 5 Ex-student who got MIT scholarship sets up tutor business to help others
- 6 Police officer jailed for GBH after injuring man in Forest Gate
- 7 Website helps disadvantaged youth understand job roles to raise aspirations
- 8 Jailed: Newham men who raped and robbed women in Hackney home
- 9 Operose: Addressing 'understandable' concerns over GP takeover
- 10 Santino Dymiter murder: Teens given life terms for 'savage' gang killing