Burglar squeezed through half-opened window in Manor Park
A couple taking advantage of the warmer weather were targeted by a burglar on Monday who managed to squeeze through a half-opened window.
The 41-year-old man and 22-year-old woman had left the rest of their home in Selborne Avenue, Manor Park, locked and secure on bank holiday Monday without realising the kitchen window was slightly ajar.
The victims left just before 10pm and returned two hours later to find an intruder had rummaged through the house, stealing bank cards and cash.
Police believe the burglar entered through the half-opened window and left through the front door.
Officers are now appealing for anyone who may have seen or heard anything about the incident to contact Newham Burglary Squad on 020 8217 5085 or to remain anonymous, call Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.
Det Sgt Ben Wayment, investigating, said: “This case shows the need to close and lock all the windows and doors in your home when leaving the property unoccupied, even if it’s only for a short time.
“Leaving windows open even a little is enough for a burglar to gain entry to your home.”
- 1 Jailed: Teen who inflicted life-changing injuries as he squirted acid in boy's face
- 2 Leyton Orient boss Jackett hoping to strengthen squad
- 3 Revealed: Hackney, Islington and Newham are boroughs with most LTNs
- 4 New documentary on murders of women whose bodies were hidden in freezer
- 5 Newham man among UK's 'most wanted fugitives' who may be hiding in Spain
- 6 New boy Brown 'buzzing' to help Leyton Orient
- 7 Travel disruptions: Hackney, Islington, Tower Hamlets, Newham
- 8 Beckton children’s hospice given £5k to replace stolen garden equipment
- 9 'Time to end the injustice': Barts staff set to strike amid pay dispute
- 10 Overnight blaze at North Woolwich block of flats