Burglar squeezed through half-opened window in Manor Park
A couple taking advantage of the warmer weather were targeted by a burglar on Monday who managed to squeeze through a half-opened window.
The 41-year-old man and 22-year-old woman had left the rest of their home in Selborne Avenue, Manor Park, locked and secure on bank holiday Monday without realising the kitchen window was slightly ajar.
The victims left just before 10pm and returned two hours later to find an intruder had rummaged through the house, stealing bank cards and cash.
Police believe the burglar entered through the half-opened window and left through the front door.
Officers are now appealing for anyone who may have seen or heard anything about the incident to contact Newham Burglary Squad on 020 8217 5085 or to remain anonymous, call Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.
You may also want to watch:
Det Sgt Ben Wayment, investigating, said: “This case shows the need to close and lock all the windows and doors in your home when leaving the property unoccupied, even if it’s only for a short time.
“Leaving windows open even a little is enough for a burglar to gain entry to your home.”
- 1 Stephen Fry: Canning Town man to face court charged with murder
- 2 Man killed and two injured in triple shooting
- 3 'That is what this club is about' as Mark Noble wants to find West Ham fan
- 4 New primary school in Stratford welcomes first reception class
- 5 Police appeal to bystanders in alleged rape case
- 6 Indian restaurants to try in Newham, as recommended by readers
- 7 New Covid vaccine centres to open across east London
- 8 Steven Fry stabbing: Custom House victim named in murder investigation
- 9 Campaigners protest City Farm closure at Town Hall with 6,000-strong petition
- 10 Secondary claims to be 'billion-pound school' based on earnings research