Burglar squeezed through half-opened window in Manor Park
A couple taking advantage of the warmer weather were targeted by a burglar on Monday who managed to squeeze through a half-opened window.
The 41-year-old man and 22-year-old woman had left the rest of their home in Selborne Avenue, Manor Park, locked and secure on bank holiday Monday without realising the kitchen window was slightly ajar.
The victims left just before 10pm and returned two hours later to find an intruder had rummaged through the house, stealing bank cards and cash.
Police believe the burglar entered through the half-opened window and left through the front door.
Officers are now appealing for anyone who may have seen or heard anything about the incident to contact Newham Burglary Squad on 020 8217 5085 or to remain anonymous, call Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.
You may also want to watch:
Det Sgt Ben Wayment, investigating, said: “This case shows the need to close and lock all the windows and doors in your home when leaving the property unoccupied, even if it’s only for a short time.
“Leaving windows open even a little is enough for a burglar to gain entry to your home.”
- 1 Violent gang stuff sock in elderly woman's mouth and steal her jewellery
- 2 Covid vaccination hub opening in Westfield next week
- 3 Tributes to Newham cop who died after positive Covid-19 test
- 4 NHS nurse assaulted at east London hospital
- 5 Police release image after teenager stabbed in Forest Gate robbery
- 6 What a load of old rubbish: Fly-tippers keep charity staff out of building
- 7 Council rents offices to ambulance service to save money
- 8 One in 20 may have had Covid-19 last week in Redbridge, Newham and Barking and Dagenham, figures suggest
- 9 Police appeal for help after woman raped in Beckton
- 10 Labour Party investigates second Newham councillor over antisemitism