Brutal murder in North Woolwich shocks police
Police stunned as victim is dragged by feet down three flights of stairs and along street.
A callous and brutal beating has become a murder - nearly three weeks after the vicious attack took place in North Woolwich.
And the killing of Zahir Bouchia, 48, has shocked hardneded detectives.
Mr Bouchia was dragged by his ankles down three flights of stairs of a block of flats, smashing his head numerous times, and then along the street and dumped some distance away.
He was left for dead, critcally injured in the street for passers by to see. Now detectives from the Homicide and Serious Crime Command are appealling for information following the murder.
You may also want to watch:
Mr Bouchia, of Shaw House in Claremont Street, died in the early hours last Wednesday, Scotland Yard revealed.
He was found with appalling injuries on the corner of Claremont Road and Woodman Parade, at around 8.20pm on May 21. Paramedics were called by police and he was taken to The Royal London Hospital.
- 1 Police officer to appear in court after death of man in East Ham
- 2 Clapton Community FC members demand 'Justice for Sami' outside Forest Gate Police Station
- 3 Second jabs hub opening at Westfield as ExCeL London vaccination centre soon to close
- 4 Stratford School Academy pupil helps launch fund in memory of Prince Philip
- 5 College teacher: Students and teachers 'lose trust' over government's Covid response
- 6 Pupils send 'awe-inspiring' accounts of pandemic into the future with time capsule
- 7 Hammers 'will keep fighting' says Fornals ahead of derby date
- 8 Feminism, corner shops and bricks: Here's what's happening in Newham Heritage Month
- 9 Community group founder calls for mandatory ethnic pay gap reporting
- 10 Police officer jailed for GBH after injuring man in Forest Gate
A post-mortem carried out on Thursday at at Poplar Mortuary gave a cause of the victim’s death as head and chest injuries. Scotland Yard said their probe was now a murder inquiry.
Det Chief Insp John Nicholson said: “We believe that Mr Bouchia was assaulted at a property in Shaw House.
“He was then dragged by his ankles to the corner of Claremont Close and Woodman Parade where he was dumped until emergency services attended.
“I would urge any witnesses to come forward and help us bring those responsible to justice”.
Det Insp Dermot Carroll also appealed for help in tracing the Algerian victim’s next of kin.
“We need to hear from his family and any witnesses to what happened. This man suffered appalling injuries, nbeing dragged down stairs and along the street.”
Anyone with information is asked to call the incident room on 020 8345 3985. Alternatively, to remain anonymous please call Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.
n A man has been previously accused of grevious bodily harm with intent and is waiting trial at Inner London Crown Court, while a woman who had been arrested and bailed has now been released wth no further action.