Boy, 16, killed in east London days before his GCSE results, court told
- Credit: Archant
A schoolboy aspiring to be a doctor was stabbed to death trying to protect his best friend from a masked gang, a court heard today.
Ajmol Alom, 16, collapsed yards from his home in east London after being attacked with knives and a machete-like blade.
He was hoping to study medicine at university—but died just days before receiving eight As and three Bs in his GCSE results.
A man from Stratford is one of four accused of Ajmol’s murder. Mashadur Rahman, 22, from Victoria Street, Stratford, denies murder, attempted murder and wounding with intent, along with three men from Poplar, Muhammod Malik, 22, Ali Choudhury, 20, and Aminur Khan, 19.
Ajmol’s mother rushed from their home and watched helplessly as he lay dying in the street in Poplar.
He had been playing football with friends when four men approached wearing hoodies and bandanas, Snaresbrook Crown Court heard.
“The friends were making their way home and none had a care in the world,” said prosecutor Mark Dennis.
- 1 Stratford roof-terrace restaurant destroyed by late-night fire
- 2 Homes under the Planner: Applications lodged and approved in Newham
- 3 The Queen’s Platinum Jubilee flypast: Where, and when, the planes will fly over north and east London
- 4 Man dies after falling unwell in Stratford
- 5 Queen’s Platinum Jubilee: Street parties and road closures in Newham
- 6 Man held in murder probe after woman fatally stabbed in Custom House
- 7 Man charged with fatal stabbing of woman in Custom House
- 8 Two teenagers charged after 12 phones nicked in stealing spree
- 9 'Unexplained': Man dies after being found unresponsive in Plashet Park
- 10 Wanted: Five people Newham police wish to speak to
“All that was about to change by sudden and gratuitous violence which left one with a knife wound and another dying. “They had done nothing to provoke such aggression.
“The four men appeared hooded and each tried to mask their face with a bandana.”
Ajmol intervened when his friend was attacked, but was stabbed himself.
Paramedics tried to save him—but he died hours later in hospital.
“The four attackers ran away as a team,” the prosecutor added. “At least three knives were seen, one a machete-like blade.”
The trial continues.