Body found in Beckton wasteground is identified
A badly decomposed body discovered on wasteland near the Showcase Cinema and restaurants in Beckton has been identified.
After extensive forensic enquiries and pathology tests, officers at Scotland Yard have said they are sure the dead man is Kestutis Mickevicius, aged 44, of no fixed abode.
His body was found by a member of the public on Saturday August 17. He made the grisly discovery at just after 3.20pm at land off Spur Road, Beckton. It was on wasteland off Spur Road and Jenkins Lane by the A13 Newham Way, near the Showcase Cinema and restaurants in Beckton.
It took some time to establish the age of the victim due to the decomposition of the body.
An inquest has been opened and adjourned at Walthamstow Coroner’s Court into his death,
A man is currently on remand awaiting trial for the alleged murder.
Gedrius Valaitis, 39, of no fixed abode, stands remanded in custody to the Old Bailey.
- 1 3 arrests after death of man found unresponsive in Beckton
- 2 Maryland machete murderer found guilty - as police hunt second attacker
- 3 Jailed: Forest Gate serial arsonist who started more than two dozen fires
- 4 Man charged with Beckton murder as victim named
- 5 Jailed: 8 east London offenders put behind bars in June
- 6 The Rolling Stones prove rock ‘n’ roll is alive and kicking at Hyde Park
- 7 Police officer sacked for 'turning blind eye’ to criminal husband
- 8 Have you seen Lisa, 47, who is missing from Forest Gate?
- 9 E-fit released after woman sexually assaulted in Newham
- 10 Inside east London's new £30m Olympic-size ice centre
A fingertip search was carried out by teams of officers and police helicopters were used in a search of the land.
Horses had to be moved out of nearby stables while the searches were made. Officers from the Homicide and Serious Crime Command are investigating and an incident room is being run by Acting Det Chief Insp Andrew Kelly.
Witnesses or anyone with information is asked to call the incident room on (020) 8345 3775 or to remain anonymous, Crimestoppers on 0800 555111.