Beckton nurse could lose job over ‘patient relationship’
A nurse who preyed on the vulnerability of a patient and bombarded her with 600 text messages faces struck off the nursing register.
Victor Ogbeide used a mobile phone to make dozens calls to the 19-year-old woman, who had a history of self-harm.
He received about 500 messages and 100 calls from the woman, who suffered from a borderline personality disorder, but failed to report this to his employer, the Nursing and Midwifery Council was told.
The panel found his actions amounted to pursuing a personal relationship with the woman.
But the hearing ran out of time before it could make a decision on whether his fitness to practise is impaired.
You may also want to watch:
Neil Moloney, for the NMC, said Ogbeide had used a pay-as-you-go mobile to contact the then 19-year-old and pursue a relationship.
Mr Maloney added that during his evidence, Ogbeide had claimed he did not know that an “x” at the end of a text denoted a kiss.
- 1 US fried chicken chain Popeyes to open first UK outlet in Stratford
- 2 First apartments to go on sale at 769-home development in Royal Docks
- 3 New primary school in Stratford welcomes first reception class
- 4 Sadiq Khan warns of flood threat in east London from climate emergency
- 5 Things to do: Explore east London this weekend
- 6 Steven Fry stabbing: Custom House victim named in murder investigation
- 7 Steven Fry: Canning Town man to face court charged with murder
- 8 Police name Newham man fatally shot in Haringey
- 9 Man killed and two injured in triple shooting
- 10 Newham town halls to be lit up in tribute to Sabina Nessa
The illicit communications are said to have taken place between September 28 and November 27, 2009, while he was employed at Cygnet Hospital, Beckton.
They only came to light when the woman, known only as Patient A, told another nurse about the alleged relationship.
Ogbeide admitted sending and receiving the texts and calls and failing to report the communication.
If the panel finds his fitness to practise is impaired, he could be struck off the nursing register. The hearing resumes in January.