Beckton kidnapper who stole cash and cars from teenage victim jailed for seven years
- Credit: Met Police
A kidnapper whose teenage victim was threatened with a gun and ordered to hand over more than £10,000 has been jailed for seven years.
Snaresbrook Crown Court heard how Shahidul Islam and three accomplices kidnapped a 19-year-old in Beckton in the evening of March 11, 2016, and drove him to a secluded area near Royals Dock Road.
He was assaulted and threatened with a gun before being driven to his home in Kent.
Islam, of Covelees Wall, Beckton, and his accomplices then demanded he hand over vehicle registration documents for a BMW and a Vauxhall, which they subsequently stole.
They also took around £300 in cash and a tablet.
The teenager was then driven back to Beckton where he was made to transfer another £200 from his account, and ordered to pay another £10,000 to his kidnappers within seven days.
Throughout the ordeal, 23-year-old Islam and his accomplices – Kousar Ahmed, Riaz Ahmed and a 16-year-old who cannot be named for legal reasons – kicked and punched their victim, who sustained cuts and bruises.
- 1 School which has nine-hour days praised as 'outstanding'
- 2 Three in custody over knifepoint robbery in East Ham after foot chase
- 3 Seven men charged following cannabis factory fight
- 4 RideLondon 2022: East and central London roads among 100 miles of closures
- 5 Burrard Road stabbing: Plea date set for Custom House murder accused
- 6 Tossed cigarette in Chadwell Heath costs Beckton man almost £400
- 7 Plaistow police officer to face GBH trial after man left paralysed
- 8 Men jailed after violent beating with steering wheel lock caught on dashcam
- 9 Revealed: Your favourite fish and chip shop in east London
- 10 Maskless passengers on London trains and buses fined 4,000 times
Once the kidnapping was reported to police, an investigation was launched and three suspects were quickly identified.
Islam went on the run and eventually handed himself in on January 18 following a media appeal. He was charged later that day.
Following a trial, he was found guilty of one count of kidnap, for which he was sentenced on Friday to seven years’ imprisonment, and one count of robbery, for which he was sentenced to five years.
The sentences will run concurrently.
Detective Constable Raf Patel, from Newham CID, said: “This victim suffered continued violence at the hands of the suspects. The ordeal will have a lasting impact.
“I am pleased that all of those involved in this crime have now been convicted and face a lengthy imprisonment.”
The three other people involved were all found guilty of kidnap, robbery and assault at Wood Green Crown Court in October.
Kousar Ahmed, 23, of Linton Gardens, Beckton, and Riaz Ahmed, 23, of Whitchurch Road, Romford, were both jailed for seven years. The 16-year-old, from Beckton, was jailed for three years.