Beckton kidnapper who stole cash and cars from teenage victim jailed for seven years
- Credit: Met Police
A kidnapper whose teenage victim was threatened with a gun and ordered to hand over more than £10,000 has been jailed for seven years.
Snaresbrook Crown Court heard how Shahidul Islam and three accomplices kidnapped a 19-year-old in Beckton in the evening of March 11, 2016, and drove him to a secluded area near Royals Dock Road.
He was assaulted and threatened with a gun before being driven to his home in Kent.
Islam, of Covelees Wall, Beckton, and his accomplices then demanded he hand over vehicle registration documents for a BMW and a Vauxhall, which they subsequently stole.
They also took around £300 in cash and a tablet.
You may also want to watch:
The teenager was then driven back to Beckton where he was made to transfer another £200 from his account, and ordered to pay another £10,000 to his kidnappers within seven days.
Throughout the ordeal, 23-year-old Islam and his accomplices – Kousar Ahmed, Riaz Ahmed and a 16-year-old who cannot be named for legal reasons – kicked and punched their victim, who sustained cuts and bruises.
- 1 Police release image after teenager stabbed in Forest Gate robbery
- 2 Stratford councillor who slammed Boris's bike ride cycles 30 mile round trip across London
- 3 Arrests after girl, 16, falls onto tracks at King George V DLR
- 4 Police appeal for help after woman raped in Beckton
- 5 Doctors urge Tower Hamlets mayor to end support for Silvertown Tunnel
- 6 Trust partnership helps free school meals pupils to eat healthy at home
- 7 Double murder accused remanded in custody over ‘brutal’ stabbings
- 8 Jarrod Bowen hails West Ham as they dug deep to seal victory over West Brom
- 9 Forest Gate man, 21, charged with dangerous and drug driving
- 10 Tribute to 7th Barts Health Trust worker to die of Covid-19
Once the kidnapping was reported to police, an investigation was launched and three suspects were quickly identified.
Islam went on the run and eventually handed himself in on January 18 following a media appeal. He was charged later that day.
Following a trial, he was found guilty of one count of kidnap, for which he was sentenced on Friday to seven years’ imprisonment, and one count of robbery, for which he was sentenced to five years.
The sentences will run concurrently.
Detective Constable Raf Patel, from Newham CID, said: “This victim suffered continued violence at the hands of the suspects. The ordeal will have a lasting impact.
“I am pleased that all of those involved in this crime have now been convicted and face a lengthy imprisonment.”
The three other people involved were all found guilty of kidnap, robbery and assault at Wood Green Crown Court in October.
Kousar Ahmed, 23, of Linton Gardens, Beckton, and Riaz Ahmed, 23, of Whitchurch Road, Romford, were both jailed for seven years. The 16-year-old, from Beckton, was jailed for three years.