Beckton kidnapper who stole cash and cars from teenage victim jailed for seven years
- Credit: Met Police
A kidnapper whose teenage victim was threatened with a gun and ordered to hand over more than £10,000 has been jailed for seven years.
Snaresbrook Crown Court heard how Shahidul Islam and three accomplices kidnapped a 19-year-old in Beckton in the evening of March 11, 2016, and drove him to a secluded area near Royals Dock Road.
He was assaulted and threatened with a gun before being driven to his home in Kent.
Islam, of Covelees Wall, Beckton, and his accomplices then demanded he hand over vehicle registration documents for a BMW and a Vauxhall, which they subsequently stole.
They also took around £300 in cash and a tablet.
You may also want to watch:
The teenager was then driven back to Beckton where he was made to transfer another £200 from his account, and ordered to pay another £10,000 to his kidnappers within seven days.
Throughout the ordeal, 23-year-old Islam and his accomplices – Kousar Ahmed, Riaz Ahmed and a 16-year-old who cannot be named for legal reasons – kicked and punched their victim, who sustained cuts and bruises.
- 1 New developments given the green light in Newham so far this year
- 2 Steward admits lanyard theft ahead of Euro 2020 final
- 3 Woodford Green and Forest Gate residents criticise councils over flooding
- 4 Engineering student wins place at Princeton University
- 5 East London travel disruption round-up for the week ahead
- 6 Grade II-listed building to become creative hub with £250k refurb
- 7 Inquest: Newham driver died of 'misadventure' after Redbridge police chase
- 8 Forest Gate flats bid gets green light despite neighbours' objections
- 9 Win a pair of Carabao Cup tickets to Leyton Orient vs Queens Park Rangers
- 10 Mum plans to use Raine's Foundation site for new East Park church school
Once the kidnapping was reported to police, an investigation was launched and three suspects were quickly identified.
Islam went on the run and eventually handed himself in on January 18 following a media appeal. He was charged later that day.
Following a trial, he was found guilty of one count of kidnap, for which he was sentenced on Friday to seven years’ imprisonment, and one count of robbery, for which he was sentenced to five years.
The sentences will run concurrently.
Detective Constable Raf Patel, from Newham CID, said: “This victim suffered continued violence at the hands of the suspects. The ordeal will have a lasting impact.
“I am pleased that all of those involved in this crime have now been convicted and face a lengthy imprisonment.”
The three other people involved were all found guilty of kidnap, robbery and assault at Wood Green Crown Court in October.
Kousar Ahmed, 23, of Linton Gardens, Beckton, and Riaz Ahmed, 23, of Whitchurch Road, Romford, were both jailed for seven years. The 16-year-old, from Beckton, was jailed for three years.