‘This must stop’: Families demand action to stop motorcyclists scrambling through Beckton District Park
- Credit: Archant
Neighbours are demanding action to stop motorcyclists turning a park into a no go area.
Families want something done to prevent the culprits scrambling through Beckton District Park saying they have put up with it for years.
Natalia Wierzbicka said: “This park is a perfect place for family outings, but [people] are not doing this.
“They are scared to let their children run around. The noise is unbearable.”
She added that revving engines can be heard until 9pm, or later in summer, disturbing her children’s sleep.
You may also want to watch:
“Sometimes my little one doesn’t want to go into the park because he’s scared. It’s a tough time to do anything, but something needs to be done,” Natalia said.
A petition calling for warning signs and fencing has gained more than 300 signatures so far.
- 1 Flooding causes road and rail disruption across east London
- 2 Canning Town bus station stays closed as 'urgent' investigation underway
- 3 The secondary schools in Newham rated outstanding by Ofsted
- 4 Appeal after man allegedly 'spits at' woman travelling through Whitechapel, West Ham and Barking
- 5 High Court judge rules no further action needed over embargo breach by Newham company boss
- 6 Carpenters Estate neighbours to vote on redevelopment plans
- 7 Weather warning in place with east London set for thundery weekend
- 8 Can you help find man missing from Royal Docks?
- 9 Ricardo Fuller death: Men from Dagenham and Plaistow wanted in connection
- 10 Boy, 16, found stabbed in Custom House
Anna Zielinska recalled walking in the park with her three-year-old daughter when four teenagers raced past.
“It’s very frustrating that we can’t just go for a walk without being disturbed all the time,” Anna said.
Mum-of-two Joanna Bartosiewicz said: “It is happening every day. My elder daughter is very afraid because they are very loud. Motorbikes ride on public paths which is dangerous.”
Ilona Sabera said her son, aged three, was almost knocked over by one motorcyclist. “This must stop,” she said.
And Jessica Devoy said her one-year-old daughter is frightened of the bikes.
A spokeswoman at Newham Council said an ongoing operation to catch the riders was constrained by a lack of “off-road” police vehicles to pursue them.
Newham has considered fencing and gates, but says barriers would restrict or block access to cyclists, people in wheelchairs and those with buggies.
An investigation to track the moped to addresses is not “straightforward” either because the bikes are often stolen.
“This is a difficult issue to address and the most appropriate policing resources are hard to get hold of at a time of competing priorities, but the council and the police will continue to pursue inquiries,” the spokeswoman said.
A Met spokeswoman said: “Officers are aware of reports that a number of individuals are riding motorbikes through Beckton District Park.
“Work is ongoing to try and identify those involved and regular patrols are in place. Anyone with information should call 101 with reference 3993/07MAY.”