‘Baby for sale’: Three in court
A MARRIED couple from Forest Gate hvave appeared in court accused of a plot to sell their baby daughter for �35,000.
The pair, who cannot be identified, are said to have conspired with 48-year-old middle man Mohammad Javaid to abandon the 11-month-old with new parents.
But the buyers turned out to be undercover reporters from a Sunday newspaper, Inner London Crown Court has heard.
The trio spoke only to confirm their names during a plea and case management hearing, translated by Urdu interpreters.
Following legal submissions at Inner London Crown Court Judge Roger Chapple adjourned the hearing to February 15.
The plea hearing had been adjourned to today following a previous court appearance in November.
Javaid, of Woodlands Road, Ilford, the 31-year-old man and the 28-year-old woman, of Forest Gate, east London, face a single charge of conspiracy to commit
- 1 Newham primary schools top national league tables
- 2 Canning Town fire 'involving freezer' prompts safety warnings
- 3 'Strict licensing laws and pandemic to blame for Newham exodus,' letting agent claims
- 4 £1m Newham lottery ticket winner finally claims their jackpot prize
- 5 Service users overcharged total of £5m by council accounting 'screw up'
- 6 First Omicron case reported in Newham
- 7 Man jailed for rape after attacking woman walking back from Canning Town
- 8 Report: 'Significant improvement' in Newham's parks
- 9 O's boss Jackett heaps praise on entire side not just Drinan and Smith
- 10 12 people wanted after unlinked Newham robberies
child cruelty between September 1 and 23 last year.
The baby has been taken into the care of Newham Social Services and all three defendants were remanded in custody as before.