‘Baby for sale’: Three in court
A MARRIED couple from Forest Gate hvave appeared in court accused of a plot to sell their baby daughter for �35,000.
The pair, who cannot be identified, are said to have conspired with 48-year-old middle man Mohammad Javaid to abandon the 11-month-old with new parents.
But the buyers turned out to be undercover reporters from a Sunday newspaper, Inner London Crown Court has heard.
The trio spoke only to confirm their names during a plea and case management hearing, translated by Urdu interpreters.
Following legal submissions at Inner London Crown Court Judge Roger Chapple adjourned the hearing to February 15.
You may also want to watch:
The plea hearing had been adjourned to today following a previous court appearance in November.
Javaid, of Woodlands Road, Ilford, the 31-year-old man and the 28-year-old woman, of Forest Gate, east London, face a single charge of conspiracy to commit
- 1 Police appeal for help after woman raped in Beckton
- 2 Footage shows crowd piling onto train at Canning Town station
- 3 Forest Gate man, 21, charged with dangerous and drug driving
- 4 NHS Nightingale London opens to patients without Covid-19
- 5 Newham's Covid-19 case rate 'huge' but there is 'light at end of the tunnel'
- 6 NHS 'concerned' about Covid vaccine uptake in Newham
- 7 Volunteers out to bust Covid jab myths and false conspiracy theories
- 8 Dangerous driver arrested after police find drugs and £28k cash
- 9 Serial fraudster who set up fake real estate company jailed for six years
- 10 Double murder charge over stabbings, as police name victims
child cruelty between September 1 and 23 last year.
The baby has been taken into the care of Newham Social Services and all three defendants were remanded in custody as before.