‘Baby for sale’: Three in court
A MARRIED couple from Forest Gate hvave appeared in court accused of a plot to sell their baby daughter for �35,000.
The pair, who cannot be identified, are said to have conspired with 48-year-old middle man Mohammad Javaid to abandon the 11-month-old with new parents.
But the buyers turned out to be undercover reporters from a Sunday newspaper, Inner London Crown Court has heard.
The trio spoke only to confirm their names during a plea and case management hearing, translated by Urdu interpreters.
Following legal submissions at Inner London Crown Court Judge Roger Chapple adjourned the hearing to February 15.
You may also want to watch:
The plea hearing had been adjourned to today following a previous court appearance in November.
Javaid, of Woodlands Road, Ilford, the 31-year-old man and the 28-year-old woman, of Forest Gate, east London, face a single charge of conspiracy to commit
- 1 Bus crashes into lamp post in Stratford
- 2 Start Me Up: Rolling Stones legend Ronnie Wood opens studio in Canning Town for budding musicians
- 3 East Ham cannabis farm raided by police
- 4 Transfer round-up: Leyton Orient bring in eight as departures find new clubs
- 5 Appeal to help find cat missing from Canning Town
- 6 'It's about safety': Manor Park neighbours urge council to crack down on pavement parking
- 7 Leyton Orient could be without key forwards for season opener at Salford
- 8 Meet the weight-loss runner using Newham as a canvas
- 9 Jailed: 'Violent' Beckton man who threatened to chop off ex-partner's head
- 10 Moyes: It was a good, tough test for West Ham at Brentford
child cruelty between September 1 and 23 last year.
The baby has been taken into the care of Newham Social Services and all three defendants were remanded in custody as before.