Man arrested after ‘brutal’ New Year’s Eve stabbing in Canning Town
- Credit: Archant
Detectives investigating a ‘brutal and brazen’ stabbing on New Year’s Eve have made an arrest.
A 20-year-old man was arrested on suspicion of grievous bodily harm with intent by the Met’s gangs squad in the early hours of this morning at an address in Grange Road, Canning Town.
He is now in custody at an east London police station.
Det Sgt Olly Clark said: “It was a brutal and brazen attack which could have quite easily been fatal.
“I hope today’s arrest highlights our dedication to protecting our communities and targeting dangerous offenders.”
You may also want to watch:
Police were called to a stabbing at a shop in Hermit Road at about 7.55pm on December 31 last year.
Officers and paramedics found a 22-year-old man suffering from stab wounds. He was taken to an east London hospital with serious but non-life threatening injuries.
- 1 Canning Town bus station stays closed as 'urgent' investigation underway
- 2 The secondary schools in Newham rated outstanding by Ofsted
- 3 Can you help find man missing from Royal Docks?
- 4 Appeal after man allegedly 'spits at' woman travelling through Whitechapel, West Ham and Barking
- 5 High Court judge rules no further action needed over embargo breach by Newham company boss
- 6 East London road and rail disruptions to travel this weekend
- 7 Carpenters Estate neighbours to vote on redevelopment plans
- 8 Man injured as glass falls from Canning Town bus station canopy
- 9 Goodmayes racer Alex Lynn and title leader Sam Bird preview London E-Prix
- 10 Boy, 16, found stabbed in Custom House
It’s believed the suspect travelled to the address on a moped before carrying out the attack inside.
To report suspected criminal activity call 101 or contact Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.
A young person can also contact the independent charity Fearless to pass on information anonymously.