Anti-Semitic chant video prompts West Ham life ban threat
West Ham United have threatened to hand a life ban to any fans found to be involved in anti-Semitic behaviour, following the emergence of a video of a chant on a train.
The short clip, which appeared on social media yesterday, appears to show fans on board an Abellio Greater Anglia train on the way to the Hammers’ clash with Tottenham Hotspur - a team with a large historic Jewish following.
The offensive chant includes the words, “I’ve got a foreskin, how about you? F***ing Jew.”
A spokesman for the club said that it had emailed every supporter with a ticket to the London derby ahead of the game “to remind them that they were acting as ambassadors for West Ham United.”
He added: “If any individual is found to have behaved in an inappropriate way, the Club’s simple, zero-tolerance policy dictates that they will face the strongest possible action, including the option of a life ban from the Boleyn Ground.”
You may also want to watch:
British Transport Police confirmed it is aware of the footage, saying: ““We are encouraged the public has the confidence to report incidents of football-related inappropriate and offensive behaviour to us.
“Officers ask anyone who has information or footage on this latest incident on a train, said to be in north London, or any others, to contact us so the matter can be fully investigated by detectives.”
- 1 Violent gang stuff sock in elderly woman's mouth and steal her jewellery
- 2 Council rents offices to ambulance service to save money
- 3 Our planet is in a terrible place
- 4 Covid vaccination hub opening in Westfield next week
- 5 Police appeal for help after woman raped in Beckton
- 6 Police release image after teenager stabbed in Forest Gate robbery
- 7 What a load of old rubbish: Fly-tippers keep charity staff out of building
- 8 NHS nurse assaulted at east London hospital
- 9 Arrests after girl, 16, falls onto tracks at King George V DLR
- 10 Arsenal's Women's Super League clash with West Ham postponed
The footage comes after Chelsea fans were filmed pushing a black man off a train in Paris and shouting racist chants in St Pancras last week.
West Ham supporters released a video mocking their London rivals, showing them welcoming a black man onto a train.
British Transport Police urge anyone with information on yesterday’s incident, or with footage, to get in touch by calling 0800 405040, or by text, on 61016, quoting reference 420 of 22/2/15.