Anti-Semitic chant video prompts West Ham life ban threat
West Ham United have threatened to hand a life ban to any fans found to be involved in anti-Semitic behaviour, following the emergence of a video of a chant on a train.
The short clip, which appeared on social media yesterday, appears to show fans on board an Abellio Greater Anglia train on the way to the Hammers’ clash with Tottenham Hotspur - a team with a large historic Jewish following.
The offensive chant includes the words, “I’ve got a foreskin, how about you? F***ing Jew.”
A spokesman for the club said that it had emailed every supporter with a ticket to the London derby ahead of the game “to remind them that they were acting as ambassadors for West Ham United.”
He added: “If any individual is found to have behaved in an inappropriate way, the Club’s simple, zero-tolerance policy dictates that they will face the strongest possible action, including the option of a life ban from the Boleyn Ground.”
You may also want to watch:
British Transport Police confirmed it is aware of the footage, saying: ““We are encouraged the public has the confidence to report incidents of football-related inappropriate and offensive behaviour to us.
“Officers ask anyone who has information or footage on this latest incident on a train, said to be in north London, or any others, to contact us so the matter can be fully investigated by detectives.”
- 1 Election 2021: Live updates for GLA, by-election and referendum
- 2 Call for 'zero tolerance' crackdown on Newham gangs
- 3 Woman arrested in Custom House fatal stabbing and shooting investigation
- 4 Fly-tippers dump loft insulation, building waste and sink on Wanstead Flats
- 5 Guilty: 'Depraved' rapist who targeted and robbed lone women at night
- 6 Man hit by car in alleged Canning Town 'fight' dies from injuries
- 7 Leyton Orient defender Josh Coulson set to depart
- 8 Teenagers killed in London in 2021 so far nears 2020 total
- 9 12 countries announced on travel green list from May 17
- 10 Newham bids farewell in claret and blue as charity founder is laid to rest
The footage comes after Chelsea fans were filmed pushing a black man off a train in Paris and shouting racist chants in St Pancras last week.
West Ham supporters released a video mocking their London rivals, showing them welcoming a black man onto a train.
British Transport Police urge anyone with information on yesterday’s incident, or with footage, to get in touch by calling 0800 405040, or by text, on 61016, quoting reference 420 of 22/2/15.