Inquest opens into death of cancer patient who passed away four months after attack in East Ham
- Credit: Metropolitan Police
An inquest has been opened into the death of a cancer patient who was attacked and robbed.
Ahmet Dobran - who lived in Romford Road, Forest Gate - died aged 82, four months after the attack in Sussex Road, East Ham on August 27, 2017.
An inquest opening held at Walthamstow Coroner's Court yesterday (Thursday) heard Mr Dobran spent the rest of the year in hospital suffering from a fractured spine following the robbery.
The court heard that a post mortem examination in January 2018 recorded the cause of death as pneumonia.
But assistant coroner, Ian Wade QC, remarked that such a conclusion would not require an inquest.
You may also want to watch:
"The cause of death is attributable to injuries in part as a result of the assault which led to fractured bones in the neck," Mr Wade said, pointing out a further detail in the post mortem report.
He asked coroner's court officers to contact the police to find out why the Met decided not to charge Mr Dobran's attackers with homicide.
- 1 Tributes to Newham cop who died after positive Covid-19 test
- 2 Covid vaccination hub opening in Westfield next week
- 3 NHS nurse assaulted at east London hospital
- 4 Police release image after teenager stabbed in Forest Gate robbery
- 5 What a load of old rubbish: Fly-tippers keep charity staff out of building
- 6 Labour Party investigates second Newham councillor over antisemitism
- 7 Arrests after girl, 16, falls onto tracks at King George V DLR
- 8 One in 20 may have had Covid-19 last week in Redbridge, Newham and Barking and Dagenham, figures suggest
- 9 Newham housing association offers homes to Hackney Council with £10m price tag
- 10 Stratford dance and music hub gets £700k boost
"I'm quite satisfied Mr Dobran's death is so closely linked to serious assault that it requires to be looked at at inquest," Mr Wade said.
The next hearing is due on October 30.