Extinction Rebellion activists charged over Canning Town and Shadwell protests
- Credit: Archant
Five Extinction Rebellion protesters are set to appear in court today (Friday, October 18) in connection with protests at Canning Town and Shadwell stations.
Mark Ovland, 36, from Keinton Mandeville in Somerset, is charged with breaching his bail conditions when he allegedly climbed on top of a Jubilee line train at Canning Town at around 6.45am yesterday (Thursday, October 17). He is due to appear at Highbury Corner magistrates' court.
He was arrested alongside another man, a 35-year-old from Filton in South Gloucestershire who was arrested on suspicion of obstructing the railway. He has been released on bail.
Four others will appear at the same court charged in connection with an incident at Shadwell DLR station.
Margreit Bos, 32, of Chartham in Kent; Martin Newell, 52, of Sparkhill in Birmingham; Philip Kingston, 83, of Patchway in Bristol and Sue Parfitt, 77, of Henbury in Bristol are all charged with obstructing an engine.
You may also want to watch:
Two other men, aged 32 and from Lewisham and Kingston Upon Hull, were arrested at Stratford station on suspicion of obstructing the railway. They have been released on bail.
British Transport Police is appealing for anyone who was at any of the stations and saw what happened to come forward - particularly those with pictures or videos. Anyone with information is asked to submit it via public.digital-policing.co.uk/btp/appeal/extinction-rebellion-protest-action-at-london-stations
- 1 Hospitality Day 2021: Newham's favourite cafe, pub and restaurant revealed
- 2 David Gomoh's killers jailed 101 years total for Canning Town murder
- 3 Jailed: Robbers who targeted OAPs at east London cashpoints
- 4 Plans to ease congestion at Stratford station receive £2m boost
- 5 Kacem Mokrane: Newham man amongst seven charged with 2017 murder
- 6 Watch the moment 'stolen' car drives into vehicles in East Ham
- 7 Otas Sarkus: Two charged with murder after fatal shooting
- 8 Steven Fry stabbing: Custom House victim named in murder investigation
- 9 Jailed: 'Sadistically cruel' East Ham man who raped, assaulted victim
- 10 Court date adjourned for Beckton man who sexually assaulted young girl