Acid attack horror on Plaistow mother stuns community
Police are appealing for information after a mother suffered horrific burns when she was attacked by a man with acid.
The incident took place on Harold Road, Upton Park, when the 44-year-old woman was walking her two sons home from Upton Cross Primary School.
The victim, who prefers to remain anonymous, said: “I saw a man approach me who was carrying something in a bottle.
“He threw it over me and after a few seconds it started burning. I was crying: ‘Please help me! Please help me! Everyone was shocked.”
You may also want to watch:
After reaching her home in agony, the woman was helped inside by a neighbour who poured water over her burning clothes. Police and an ambulance crew soon arrived to treat the serious burns she had suffered to her head, shoulders and back.
She was then taken to Newham General Hospital and later admitted to Chelmsford Hospital burns unit from where she was released after nearly three weeks. A spokeswoman for Newham Police confirmed that an acidic substance had been found at the scene.The male suspect is described as black, aged between 25 and 35, and 5 ft 10 inches tall with short black hair. He was wearing a black top and dark jeans.
- 1 New developments given the green light in Newham so far this year
- 2 Steward admits lanyard theft ahead of Euro 2020 final
- 3 Woodford Green and Forest Gate residents criticise councils over flooding
- 4 Engineering student wins place at Princeton University
- 5 Grade II-listed building to become creative hub with £250k refurb
- 6 East London travel disruption round-up for the week ahead
- 7 Forest Gate flats bid gets green light despite neighbours' objections
- 8 Inquest: Newham driver died of 'misadventure' after Redbridge police chase
- 9 Win a pair of Carabao Cup tickets to Leyton Orient vs Queens Park Rangers
- 10 Fried chicken outlet to open at Westfield in Stratford
The man got into a red BMW parked nearby, which was occupied by two Asian men, and made off in the direction of Terrace Road.
Five arrests were made in connection with the incident. Three men, have been released on bail until June. No further action has been taken against the remaining two other men. The spokeswoman said that police were keeping “an open mind” on any possible motive.
Det Con Phil Fox, Newham Violent Crime Unit, said: “This was a very serious incident against a woman picking up her young children from school.
“I urge anyone with any information on the March 24 attack to contact police to help bring those responsible for this terrible crime to justice.”
Anyone with information, should contact Newham Violent Crime Unit on 020 7275 5711 or to remain anonymous call Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.