A fantasist who tortured a man before suffocating him and setting fire to his home to cover up what happened has been found guilty of murder.

Newham Recorder: Peter Fasoli died in January 2013. Picture: PAPeter Fasoli died in January 2013. Picture: PA

Jason Marshall, 29, was also convicted of arson following a trial at the Old Bailey.

The jury heard how Marshall, of Monega Road, East Ham, set up a meeting via a gay dating site with Peter Fasoli, 58, at his home in Northolt.

Mr Fasoli, a computer repairman, died after being brought out of his flat in January 2013, with police originally concluding the fire was likely caused by a faulty light bulb.

But Marshall’s involvement was uncovered in autumn 2014 when Mr Fasoli’s nephew decided to collect the hard drive of his uncle’s computer, which was being stored with other items that had survived the fire.

He had hoped to find research on his family tree, but instead found a number of videos of Mr Fasoli having sex with other men, including the seven hour encounter with Marshall that led to his death.

During the trial, jurors were shown the webcam film, which began with Marshall and Mr Fasoli engaging in what appeared to be consensual role play before Marshall initiated what became a prolonged and violent domination of Mr Fasoli culminating in his murder. This included threatening him at knifepoint and forcibly injecting him.

After Mr Fasoli’s death, Marshall is seen calmly smoking a cigarette before being caught on audio splashing a liquid around and flicking a lighter.

Once the hard drive was handed to police, Marshall - who was in prison in Italy having been convicted of murder and attempted murder of two other men - was extradited and charged.

After Wednesday’s verdict was delivered, Det Insp James Stevenson said: “This was a cold blooded attack, during which Marshall cynically gained the trust of a vulnerable older man to get entry into his home, then subjected him to a horrific and prolonged ordeal and ruthlessly ignoring Peter’s cries for help knowing he was fighting to stay alive.

“We would like to thank Peter’s family for the determination and strength they have shown in assisting us throughout this complex and challenging investigation.”

Marshall will be sentenced on a date to be arranged.