Search

West Ham calls ‘emergency meeting’ after protests and pitch invasions

PUBLISHED: 11:43 12 March 2018

A pitch invader is confronted by security during the Premier League match at the London Stadium. Picture: Daniel Hambury/PA Images

A pitch invader is confronted by security during the Premier League match at the London Stadium. Picture: Daniel Hambury/PA Images

PA Wire/PA Images

West Ham football club has called an “emergency meeting” after Saturday’s clash at the London Stadium descended into protests and pitch invasions.

A floral tribute is taken onto the pitch to commemorate the 25th anniversary of the passing of Bobby Moore during the Premier League match at the London Stadium. Picture: Daniel Hambury/PA ImagesA floral tribute is taken onto the pitch to commemorate the 25th anniversary of the passing of Bobby Moore during the Premier League match at the London Stadium. Picture: Daniel Hambury/PA Images

The Football Association “strongly condemns” the crowd disturbance at the Hammers’ defeat to Burley and will be “seeking observations” from the home team and referee’s match report, the governing body said.

The Premier League fixture that was supposed to commemorate 25 years since Bobby Moore’s death, complete with a floral tribute, saw about 200 angry fans gather in front of the directors’ box to vent their fury at board members.

In a statement, the club said it was “committed to taking decisive and appropriate action” into the chaos clouding the second half.

Plans to hold a protest march against the club’s board through Stratford were called off last week after a meeting between supporters’ groups and vice-chair Karren Brady.

The truce proved fragile. Frustration at the struggling club, which currently hovers above the relegation zone despite a new stadium and promises of taking on Europe’s biggest clubs, was summed up by one banner: “Sold a dream, given a nightmare”.

Tensions boiled over when a strong first half performance gave way to a 66th-minute goal by Burnley’s Ashley Barnes, then two by visiting forward Chris Wood.

Police counted four separate pitch invasions by individual home fans during the second half.

One spectator charged onto the turf and waved a corner flag in the middle of the centre-circle, a scene recalling how fans toppling the notorious Bond Scheme in 1992.

Some fans threw coins, one striking co-owner David Sullivan according to former manager Sir Trevor Brooking.

While Sir Trevor remained in the box surrounded by empty seats belonging to directors, Mr Sullivan and co-owner David Gold left the stadium amid chants of “sack the board”.

Burnley substitutes even let children onto their bench to escape unrest in the stands.

Officers are investigating two allegations of assault, said a spokeswoman for Met Police.

No arrests have been made and both players and supporters left the stadium “without incident” following the game, she added.

West Ham were defeated three nil.

Latest Newham Stories

Reducing reliance on traditional industry, building 43,000 homes, creating up to 60,000 jobs and making Newham greener are among the priorities for Newham’s new Local Plan.

Forest Gate
Yesterday, 19:00

With less than a fortnight to go before the big day, donations are mounting for the appeal.

Forest Gate
Yesterday, 17:00

Local paper journalists may not get to review West End musicals or critique Michelin star restaurants – but they do get to enjoy the festive spectacle that is the local pantomime.

Dagenham Council
Yesterday, 17:00

Wapping head into the Christmas break five points clear at the top of the East Premier A table after a 1-0 win over nearest rivals Harleston Magpies at Lee Valley Hockey & Tennis Centre.

Valley Hockey & Tennis Centre
Yesterday, 15:57

Newham Council shook up its Christmas lunch service this month to help elderly residents beat the winter blues.

Stephen Timms
Yesterday, 15:00

St Bonaventure’s year 10 handball team bagged the top prize at the borough’s Handball Cup competition.

Newham
Yesterday, 14:03

Longer weekday late evening trains are being put on the Fenchurch Street network through east London and Essex to help Christmas shoppers and partygoers get back home.

barking
Yesterday, 13:00

The former Stevenage midfielder is slowly building up his fitness after a difficult summer on the sidelines

Charlie Lee

PROMOTED CONTENT

Have you spent time as an unpaid carer? If you are over the age of 25 and living in Newham, the Working for Carers scheme can help you take the first steps back to employment.

Hanson Fernandes’ journey began in 2015 when he arrived in London from Goa, India.

Newsletter Sign Up

Newham Recorder twice-weekly newsletter
Sign up to receive our regular email newsletter

Our Privacy Policy

Most read news

Hot Jobs

Show Job Lists

Education Promo

Digital Edition

cover

Enjoy the
Newham Recorder
e-edition today

Subscribe

Education and Training

cover

Read the
Education and Training
e-edition today

Read Now