Search

Terror trial accused ‘showed beheading videos to 11-year-olds’, court hears

PUBLISHED: 14:57 16 January 2018

The men are on trial at the Old Bailey Picture: Google

The men are on trial at the Old Bailey Picture: Google

Google

A Islamic State fanatic showed videos of beheadings to children as young as 11 to “foster and encourage” them into adopting his extreme ideology, a court heard.

Umar Haque, 25, of Newham, allegedly enlisted the help and support of fellow extremists at the Ripple Road Mosque in Barking and tried to groom children with role-play and extremist videos.

Haque became “fascinated” by last year’s Westminster Bridge attack and discussed bringing a reign of terror across London in secretly recorded chat, the Old Bailey heard.

In a bugged conversation with one of his co-accused four days after the March 22 attack, Haque allegedly said: “So what I want to personally is launch different attacks in all the different areas, one in Westminster, one in Stratford, one in Forest Gate, one... in so many different areas, yeah.

“Immediately there’s one focus to all the police. Get off the streets. Civilians get off the streets. London will be, not just Westminster attack, entire London...

“We’re here to cause terror, my brother. We are a death squad sent by Allah and his messengers to avenge my Arab brothers’ blood...”

Prosecutor Mark Heywood QC told jurors that in 2016 and early 2017, Haque was set on carrying out one or more violent attacks with others on civilian and police targets.

He said: “Umar Haque was fascinated by the warped and extreme ideology of Islamic State.

“He had identified methods and targets. Those targets were numerous but included for example, the Queen’s Guard, the courts, Transport for London, Shia Muslims, Westfield, banks in the City of London, Heathrow, west London, Parliament, Big Ben, the English Defence League or Britain First, embassies, media stations.”

Abuthaher Mamun, 19, of Barking and Muhammad Abid, 27, and Nadeem Patel, 26, both of Newham, who knew Haque through the mosque, are accused of helping him in various ways.

Mamun assisted with attack planning and set about raising money to fund it through trading in options, Abid was involved in “discussion and lower level of support” while Patel agreed to provide a gun, jurors were told.

In April 2016, Haque came to the attention of authorities when he tried to travel to Turkey from Heathrow, the court heard.

His deadly plans were revealed in bugged conversations in Abid’s Volkswagen and home and Haque’s Ford Focus the following year, the court heard.

Haque discussed his fears of a “snitch” and justification for killing civilians during a five-hour conversation with Abid in the wake of the Westminster Bridge attack.

He allegedly discussed using a car, leaving bombs in a lift, and going for “a quick spin” around Westminster.

On May 2 last year, talking in his car, Haque allegedly told Mamun that the day IS took Arabia would be like “us winning the World Cup”.

Mr Heywood told how Haque taught children aged between 11 and 16 at the Lantern of Knowledge Islamic School in Leyton between September 2015 and September 2016.

He showed his pupils images of guns, burning of passports and beheadings with a knife or sword to “encourage them into his mindset”, Mr Heywood said.

He and Mamum were also heavily involved in running the Ripple Road mosque where Haque assumed the role of “teacher”, jurors were told.

In the months before his arrest in early 2017, he “manipulated” the vulnerable children, telling them he intended to die a martyr and IS was “good”, the court heard.

He showed them “horrifying” images, including one of a dead boy, saying they would meet the same fate if they did not “join” and promise to become a martyr, the court heard.

Haque allegedly made the children do “push-ups, races and grappling” and act out the roles of police and attackers in scenarios with weapons and a car bomb, while he shouted “Allahu Akhbar”.

The defendant swore the children to secrecy, Mr Heywood told jurors: “He said whatever they spoke about in the mosque must stay in the mosque.”

Haque and Mamun are joinly charged with preparing acts of terrorism between March 25 and May 18 2017.

Haque is further charged with preparing terrorist acts by leading exercises with children at the mosque and dissemination of terrorist publications at the Lantern of Knowledge school

Abid is accused of having information about Haque’s plans and Patel is charged with plotting with Haque to possess a firearm or imitation firearm.

The defendants have denied the charges.

However, Haque has admitted charges of collection of terrorist information and dissemination of a terrorist publication at the mosque.

Patel has admitted possessing a prohibited weapon.

The trial continues.

Related articles

Comments have been disabled on this article.

Latest Newham Stories

51 minutes ago

Reducing reliance on traditional industry, building 43,000 homes, creating up to 60,000 jobs and making Newham greener are among the priorities for Newham’s new Local Plan.

Forest Gate
Yesterday, 19:00

With less than a fortnight to go before the big day, donations are mounting for the appeal.

Forest Gate
Yesterday, 17:00

Local paper journalists may not get to review West End musicals or critique Michelin star restaurants – but they do get to enjoy the festive spectacle that is the local pantomime.

France
Yesterday, 17:00

Wapping head into the Christmas break five points clear at the top of the East Premier A table after a 1-0 win over nearest rivals Harleston Magpies at Lee Valley Hockey & Tennis Centre.

Valley Hockey & Tennis Centre
Yesterday, 15:57

Newham Council shook up its Christmas lunch service this month to help elderly residents beat the winter blues.

Stephen Timms
Yesterday, 15:00

St Bonaventure’s year 10 handball team bagged the top prize at the borough’s Handball Cup competition.

Newham
Yesterday, 14:03

Longer weekday late evening trains are being put on the Fenchurch Street network through east London and Essex to help Christmas shoppers and partygoers get back home.

barking
Yesterday, 13:00

The former Stevenage midfielder is slowly building up his fitness after a difficult summer on the sidelines

Charlie Lee

PROMOTED CONTENT

Have you spent time as an unpaid carer? If you are over the age of 25 and living in Newham, the Working for Carers scheme can help you take the first steps back to employment.

Hanson Fernandes’ journey began in 2015 when he arrived in London from Goa, India.

Newsletter Sign Up

Newham Recorder twice-weekly newsletter
Sign up to receive our regular email newsletter

Our Privacy Policy

Most read news

Hot Jobs

Show Job Lists

Education Promo

Digital Edition

cover

Enjoy the
Newham Recorder
e-edition today

Subscribe

Education and Training

cover

Read the
Education and Training
e-edition today

Read Now