Manor Park thug jailed for six years in Ashley Latty murder case

PUBLISHED: 14:23 27 April 2015 | UPDATED: 12:22 28 April 2015

Ashley Latty was murdered at a party in Dagenham in May 2014

Ashley Latty was murdered at a party in Dagenham in May 2014


A thug from Manor Park has been jailed for six years following the murder of Ashley Latty.

Tyler Burton, 29, Ilford, guilty of murdering Ashley LattyTyler Burton, 29, Ilford, guilty of murdering Ashley Latty

Jerome Joseph, 28, of Manor Park Road was found not guilty of murder but guilty of attempted GBH following a trial at the Old Bailey.

He was sentenced to six year behind bars.

Ashley, 25, of Leyton, was killed after being stabbed twice in the back and three times in the chest, at a party in Dagenham, in May last year.

Tyler Burton, 29, of Aberdour Road, Ilford and Nicholas Terrelonge, 28, of Orange Grove, Leytonstone, were found guilty of murder,and both men have been sentenced to 20 years behind bars.

Nicholas Terrelonge, 28, of Leytonstone, guilty of murdering Ashley LattyNicholas Terrelonge, 28, of Leytonstone, guilty of murdering Ashley Latty

Kestrel Daniel Dyer, 26, of West Road, Barking, was also found guilty of attempted GBH and was sentenced to six-and-a-half years in prison.

Nana Oppong, 34, of no fixed abode had pleaded guilty to attempted GBH at the start of the trial, but was found not guilty of murder. He was jailed for four years.

Detective Chief Inspector Neale Baldock, of the Met’s Homicide and Major Crime Command, said: “Ashley Latty went out that weekend with the sole intention of enjoying himself and his friends’ company; earlier that Saturday he had been a guest at a wedding party.

“He was set upon by a group of men who launched a vicious attack, inflicting severe injuries, which ultimately led to his death. Today’s convictions illustrate that if you partake in violence, regardless of the extent, you will be held accountable for your actions.”

Ashley went to the party at The Beaver Centre with a friend, and as he waited to leave, he was attacked by a group of men by being repeatedly punched, kicked, struck with a bottle and stabbed.

CCTV footage showed the group loitering by the entrance to the car park before returning to the centre.

A man was seen covering his face with a jumper before being handed a bottle. The men then walked together towards where Ashley was standing before attacking him.

The assault lasted approximately one minute. A man who went to his defence was also attacked.

DCI Baldock added: “We may not know for certain why this attack happened, but what we do know, is the number of families that have been torn apart by the senseless events of that morning.”

If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Newham Recorder. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Latest from the Newham Recorder