Manor Park man guilty of attempted GBH in Ashley Latty murder case

PUBLISHED: 12:30 24 April 2015 | UPDATED: 12:42 24 April 2015

Ashley Latty was murdered at a party in Dagenham in May 2014

Ashley Latty was murdered at a party in Dagenham in May 2014


A man from Manor Park has been found guilty of attempted GBH following the murder of Ashley Latty.

Tyler Burton, 29, Ilford, guilty of murdering Ashley LattyTyler Burton, 29, Ilford, guilty of murdering Ashley Latty

Ashley, 25, of Leyton, was killed after being stabbed twice in the back and three times in the chest, at a party in Dagenham, in May last year.

Jerome Joseph, 28, of Manor Park Road, was found not guilty of murder, but guilty of attempted GBH.

Tyler Burton, 29, of Ilford and Nicholas Terrelonge, 28, of Leytonstone, were found guilty of murder, while Kestrel Daniel Dyer, 26, of Barking, was found guilty of attempted GBH.

Nana Oppong, 34, of no fixed abode, had pleaded guilty to attempted GBH at the start of the trial.

Nicholas Terrelonge, 28, of Leytonstone, guilty of murdering Ashley LattyNicholas Terrelonge, 28, of Leytonstone, guilty of murdering Ashley Latty

Detective Chief Inspector Neale Baldock, of the Met’s Homicide and Major Crime Command, said: “Ashley Latty went out that weekend with the sole intention of enjoying himself and his friends’ company; earlier that Saturday he had been a guest at a wedding party.

“He was set upon by a group of men who launched a vicious attack, inflicting severe injuries, which ultimately led to his death. Today’s convictions illustrate that if you partake in violence, regardless of the extent, you will be held accountable for your actions.”

Ashley had attended the party with a friend, and as he waited to leave, he was attacked by a group of men by being repeatedly punched, kicked, struck with a bottle and stabbed.

CCTV footage showed the group loitering by the entrance to the car park before returning to the centre where the party was taking place.

A man was seen covering his face with a jumper before being handed a bottle. The men then walked together towards where Ashley was standing before attacking him.

The assault lasted approximately one minute. A man who went to his defence was also attacked.

DCI Baldock added: “We may not know for certain why this attack happened, but what we do know, is the number of families that have been torn apart by the senseless events of that morning.”

The five convicted men are due to be sentenced on April 27.

If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Newham Recorder. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Latest from the Newham Recorder