Jury acquits Beckton nine of house party murder
PUBLISHED: 16:30 19 March 2011
Nine young men from Beckton have been cleared of the murder of David Cauchi-Lechmere.
The 20-year-old was attacked by a mob armed with knives, garden shears, sticks, an axe and a bike frame.
Police had been called to a house party in Beckton, but soon left because there weren’t enough officers to deal with the situation.
An hour later David was cornered in a doorway by up to a dozen youths, allegedly most from Beckton, and stabbed four times in the chest.
After a four-month trial all were acquitted of murder. But seven of them, all aged between 19 and 21, were jailed for their role in the earlier disturbance.
They will either be released immediately or serve only a short time in prison because of time spent on remand.
The Old Bailey heard David and his friends had travelled from Bow to a party in Henry Addlington Close, on the evening of July 10, 2009.
There was “simmering tensions” between young men and police were called.
But after the officers’ visit violence broke out amongst the party-goers over who should take the ordered mini cabs.
Punches were thrown by both sides and David and his friends chased the Beckton boys away.
Prosecutor Jonathan Laidlaw QC said no doubt angry and indignant the local group returned with weapons intent on revenge and putting right the dent to their pride.
With most of his friends seeking safety back in the house David was left stranded on the driveway and was mercilessly attacked.
Mr Laidlaw said the victim, heavily outnumbered and quickly overcome, was defenceless as he was stabbed.
He underwent emergency surgery at the scene but died at hospital later that day, July 11, 2009.
Brothers Iyoula and Losimba Yfeko, of Derifall Close, were acquitted.
Nathan Jones, of Downings, admitted violent disorder and received 30 months imprisonment.
Lewis Wilson, Matthew Ginesi, Jerome Taylor, all of Oxleas, Tobi Egunjobi, of Tunnan Leys, and Junior Emmanuel, of Covelees Wall, were convicted of violent disorder and jailed for 30 months.
All but Emmanuel are now eligible for release having already served half their sentence. Francis Meshach, of Winsor Terrace, was jailed for a total of 33 months for violent disorder and possession of a bladed article. He too is eligible for release.
If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Newham Recorder. Click the link in the orange box above for details.