Search

East Ham businessman ‘fought back despite being wounded’, court hears

PUBLISHED: 15:47 11 August 2016 | UPDATED: 15:47 11 August 2016

Akhtar Javeed       Picture: West Midlands Police

Akhtar Javeed Picture: West Midlands Police

West Midlands Police

An East Ham businessman tried to fight off a gunman despite having his wrists bound together, a jury has heard.

The last moments of Akhtar Javeed, 56, were captured on four security cameras at his fast food firm in Digbeth, Birmingham, and played at the trial of two men accused of his murder.

CCTV footage played to a jury of six men and six woman at Birmingham Crown Court showed two men getting out of a Renault Megane outside the Direct Source 3 warehouse shortly after 6.30pm on February 3.

Talking the jury through the footage, prosecutor James Curtis QC alleged that two men seen entering the premises armed with handguns were Tahir Zarif and Suraj Mistry.

Alleging that both gunmen put on masks before the Megane arrived on the firm’s car park, Mr Curtis said footage captured in a reception area confirmed the weapon used to shoot Mr Javeed was fitted with a silencer.

Describing images recorded in an adjoining meeting room, Mr Curtis told the court it showed three men being gestured at and taken into an office at gunpoint before Mr Javeed was ordered out of the room.

“You will notice that his hands appear out in front of him, already bound with a cable tie,” Mr Curtis told the jury.

“Both gunmen are pointing guns directly at him.”

Footage filmed in the nearby hallway showed Mr Javeed “defenceless” as a gun was fired at him, the court heard

Mr Curtis added that the footage showed the muzzle of the gun move as shots were fired, and the victim’s leg rock back as he was hit.

“He has been wounded and yet he fights back,” the prosecutor said of Mr Javeed, who lived in Central Park Road.

Before the film was shown to the jury, the trial judge ordered that the public gallery should be cleared out of respect for Mr Javeed.

Relatives of the father-of-four also opted not to stay and watch the footage.

Mistry and Lemar Wali, who is accused of driving the Megane to and from the robbery, are on trial accused of murder.

Prosecutors have alleged Mistry, 26, was one of two gunmen armed with pistols, while 19-year-old Wali, of Osmaston Park Road, Derby, was a willing participant and “knew perfectly well” that guns would be used in the raid.

Both Mistry and Wali deny murder, conspiracy to rob the warehouse and two counts each of possession of a pistol with intent to cause fear or violence.

Mr Curtis told the jury earlier this week that Zarif, 25, also of Osmaston Park Road, is believed to be in Pakistan after leaving Britain following the robbery.

Mistry, of Laundon Way in Leicester, and Zarif owned and ran a bodyshop in Derby called ATS Detailing and Wrap, while Wali is said to know both men.

The trial continues.


If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Newham Recorder. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Latest from the Newham Recorder