Search

Brutal murder in North Woolwich shocks police

PUBLISHED: 08:00 13 June 2012 | UPDATED: 11:12 13 June 2012

Zahir Bouchia

Zahir Bouchia

Archant

Police stunned as victim is dragged by feet down three flights of stairs and along street.

A callous and brutal beating has become a murder - nearly three weeks after the vicious attack took place in North Woolwich.

And the killing of Zahir Bouchia, 48, has shocked hardneded detectives.

Mr Bouchia was dragged by his ankles down three flights of stairs of a block of flats, smashing his head numerous times, and then along the street and dumped some distance away.

He was left for dead, critcally injured in the street for passers by to see. Now detectives from the Homicide and Serious Crime Command are appealling for information following the murder.

Mr Bouchia, of Shaw House in Claremont Street, died in the early hours last Wednesday, Scotland Yard revealed.

He was found with appalling injuries on the corner of Claremont Road and Woodman Parade, at around 8.20pm on May 21. Paramedics were called by police and he was taken to The Royal London Hospital.

A post-mortem carried out on Thursday at at Poplar Mortuary gave a cause of the victim’s death as head and chest injuries. Scotland Yard said their probe was now a murder inquiry.

Det Chief Insp John Nicholson said: “We believe that Mr Bouchia was assaulted at a property in Shaw House.

“He was then dragged by his ankles to the corner of Claremont Close and Woodman Parade where he was dumped until emergency services attended.

“I would urge any witnesses to come forward and help us bring those responsible to justice”.

Det Insp Dermot Carroll also appealed for help in tracing the Algerian victim’s next of kin.

“We need to hear from his family and any witnesses to what happened. This man suffered appalling injuries, nbeing dragged down stairs and along the street.”

Anyone with information is asked to call the incident room on 020 8345 3985. Alternatively, to remain anonymous please call Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.

n A man has been previously accused of grevious bodily harm with intent and is waiting trial at Inner London Crown Court, while a woman who had been arrested and bailed has now been released wth no further action.


If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Newham Recorder. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Latest from the Newham Recorder