Creating bustling creative quarter in Newham’s docklands
Former industrial land in Newham’s Docklands is the target of a community project to tran sform the site into a bustling creative quarter.
Cody Dock, built in the 1870s on the industrial Lower Lea River, has been lying abandoned and sealed off for decades.
Now a group has plans to open the site up to the public with the construction of a wooden swing bridge and community gardens.
It will the final obstacle in the creation of a continuous 26-mile riverside walk, meandering from Hertfordshire to the Thames, along the banks of London’s second river.
The new space will include tranquil gardens and wildlife habitats and will be part-designed by the local community and, proposers hope, funders of the project. They are seeking volunteers from the local community and schools to help remove fences currently blocking public access and to create a new right of way, create over 200m of new footpaths and community gardens and install riverside lighting and seating,
There will be weekend workshops in permaculture, urban bee keeping and wildlife habit creation
Phase one is to turn the dock into a vibrant hub for the arts and marina. Later live/work spaces straddling the dock will be built.
- 1 Jailed: Teen who inflicted life-changing injuries as he squirted acid in boy's face
- 2 Leyton Orient boss Jackett hoping to strengthen squad
- 3 Revealed: Hackney, Islington and Newham are boroughs with most LTNs
- 4 New documentary on murders of women whose bodies were hidden in freezer
- 5 Newham man among UK's 'most wanted fugitives' who may be hiding in Spain
- 6 New boy Brown 'buzzing' to help Leyton Orient
- 7 Travel disruptions: Hackney, Islington, Tower Hamlets, Newham
- 8 Beckton children’s hospice given £5k to replace stolen garden equipment
- 9 'Time to end the injustice': Barts staff set to strike amid pay dispute
- 10 Overnight blaze at North Woolwich block of flats
The 2.5 acre site would also feature a visitor centre, caf� and exhibition space.
More information at: https://spacehive.com/codydock