Cousin of footballer Jermain Defoe in holiday tragedy
Football star Jermain Defoe flies home to be with family
Football star Jermain Defoe has flown back to the UK to be with his family after his cousin died in an accident while on holiday on a Caribbean island.
Hannah Defoe, 20, was electrocuted as she dived into a hotel swimming pool in St Lucia, according to reports.
The Beckton born Spurs and England striker was on the club’s pre-season tour of America when he was told the news and has been allowed to return home.
A statement on Tottenham’s website said: “Jermain Defoe is to return home from our pre-season tour of the United States after receiving the tragic news of the death of his cousin Hannah Defoe while on holiday in St Lucia.
“Everyone at the club sends their sincere condolences to Jermain and his family and all our thoughts are with them at this sad time.”
The Foreign Office confirmed the death, understood to have taken place on Wednesday.
- 1 Wanted: Five people Newham police wish to speak to
- 2 Teenager from Newham found safe and well
- 3 Moyes: Fantastic to secure European football again
- 4 The ex-gang member who turned from crime to become a pastor mentoring young people
- 5 West Ham United make point as hero Noble is hailed
- 6 Tomorrow's lunar eclipse: How and when to see it
- 7 Burglars jailed for violent Upminster burglary where boy, 11, was shot
- 8 Gainsborough Avenue stabbing: 14-year-old boy charged
- 9 Pensioner dies after being critically injured in East Ham crash
- 10 Two arrests after multi-vehicle crash on Barking Road
Hannah’s mother Janet was taken to hospital after getting an electric shock as she tried to save her daughter.
It is the latest tragedy to strike footballer Defoe, 29.
He was forced to fly home from England’s Euro 2012 camp in Poland last month following the death of his 49-year-old father Jimmy from throat cancer.
His half-brother Jade, 26, died in 2009 after falling into a coma following a street attack in Forest Gate.
It is understood Hannah was a performing arts student from Enfield.