Councillors join in for Beckton clean-up
- Credit: Archant
Newham councillors joined residents as they tackled litter and fly-tipping on two popular footpaths around Beckton.
They collected a total of 24 rubbish bags as well as discarded microwaves and garden rubbish during the clean-ups.
They were organised by CleanupUK, a charity dedicated to tackling the problem of litter and fly-tipping. It encouraged Beckton residents to join up with like-minded neighbours last month.
On September 14, despite the rain, seven residents picked litter along the Beckton Corridor, filling 14 bags with bottles, cans, sweet wrappers, crisp packets.
Another litterpick, on September 28, was a collaboration between residents, a member of the Young Mayor’s Council and three Beckton Councillors, David Christie, Alec Kellaway and Ayesha Chowdhury.
You may also want to watch:
Aouda Ketrouci, a member of the Young Mayor’s Council, said: “I really enjoyed helping clean up the Mitchell Walk footpath. Who would’ve thought picking up litter could be fun with the help of other amazing people?
“You really start to value the act of throwing your rubbish in the bin after you’ve spent time cleaning up.
- 1 Rape survivor awarded British Empire Medal for services to community in pandemic
- 2 US burger chain Wendy's set to open first London restaurant in Stratford
- 3 Woman dies in fire at Stratford home
- 4 Where can I watch the Euros in east London?
- 5 Leyton Orient goalkeeper Vigouroux linked with Lincoln City
- 6 Queen's Birthday Honours 2021: Charity founder recognised with British Empire Medal
- 7 Stabbing victim 'pursued attackers in his car and crashed into them'
- 8 Neighbours warned to keep windows and doors shut during Plaistow blaze
- 9 Blue plaques celebrate Forest Gate's links to Jimi Hendrix and De Underground Records
- 10 Falling sign injures four in Upton Park
“This was the first of many litter picking outings for me, I look forward to helping out with more in the future.
To find out more, contact Emma Harrington on 07950 345 639 or email email@example.com