Councillors join in for Beckton clean-up
- Credit: Archant
Newham councillors joined residents as they tackled litter and fly-tipping on two popular footpaths around Beckton.
They collected a total of 24 rubbish bags as well as discarded microwaves and garden rubbish during the clean-ups.
They were organised by CleanupUK, a charity dedicated to tackling the problem of litter and fly-tipping. It encouraged Beckton residents to join up with like-minded neighbours last month.
On September 14, despite the rain, seven residents picked litter along the Beckton Corridor, filling 14 bags with bottles, cans, sweet wrappers, crisp packets.
Another litterpick, on September 28, was a collaboration between residents, a member of the Young Mayor’s Council and three Beckton Councillors, David Christie, Alec Kellaway and Ayesha Chowdhury.
You may also want to watch:
Aouda Ketrouci, a member of the Young Mayor’s Council, said: “I really enjoyed helping clean up the Mitchell Walk footpath. Who would’ve thought picking up litter could be fun with the help of other amazing people?
“You really start to value the act of throwing your rubbish in the bin after you’ve spent time cleaning up.
- 1 Clean-up underway after flash floods hit Newham
- 2 Fried chicken outlet to open at Westfield in Stratford
- 3 More than 20 places in Newham hit by flooding, council says
- 4 Ceiling panels collapse and operations cancelled at hospital after flooding
- 5 Flooding causes road and rail disruption across east London
- 6 Leyton Orient boss Jackett full of praise for Sotiriou after Magpies win
- 7 The secondary schools in Newham rated outstanding by Ofsted
- 8 Canning town bus station reopens after falling glass injures man
- 9 Deadline looming to comment on proposed constituency changes
- 10 School's out!: Newham puts on jam-packed summer holiday activities programme
“This was the first of many litter picking outings for me, I look forward to helping out with more in the future.
To find out more, contact Emma Harrington on 07950 345 639 or email email@example.com