Cottee Column: Ross would have been my choice
- Credit: Archant
The Hammers legend writes for you each week
W e have finally signed a couple of players this week to bolster the squad and though I don’t know too much about them, I think it was vital that players came in to give the team a bit of a confidence boost.
It is always difficult to sign players in January and the players will have to adapt to a new country and a new style of football.
It certainly worked for players like Diamanti and of course Di Canio, but remember, we got Savio from Italy and he was a disaster.
For me though, what I really wanted to see was the signing of Ross McCormack from Leeds United. I recommended Ross to the Hammers about four years ago when he was at Cardiff and I think if we had managed to secure him to play just behind Andy Carroll up front then it would have been a very exciting combination.
You may also want to watch:
Many people have suggested that we should go after Jordan Rhodes at Blackburn. To me he is a goalscorer, but McCormack is a lot more than that, an outstanding talent who I would still like to see us buy before the end of the window, though I think someone needs to go out before that could happen.
We are all off to Chelsea on Wednesday night, including myself, and I think it is vital that we give a good account of ourselves.
- 1 Cause of death remains unknown after body found in disused Forest Gate pub
- 2 Road and rail disruptions to expect in east London this week
- 3 Jailed man caught with knife in Stratford to be handed court order
- 4 Forest Gate triple shooting: 'Safety is everybody's business,' councillor says
- 5 Body found in derelict pub in Forest Gate
- 6 Car abandoned after triple shooting and stabbing at Forest Gate barber
- 7 Hundreds arrested after police crackdown on county lines
- 8 Tom Hiddleston to appear as MCM Comic Con returns to ExCeL London in Royal Docks
- 9 Antonio 'surprised' to score West Ham winner against Tottenham
- 10 Worshippers at mosque in Upton Park aim to raise £35k for Royal British Legion's Poppy Appeal 2021
Jose Mourinho’s record at Stamford Bridge speaks for itself and they are a great side. If you stop Hazard, there is still Oscar, if you stop him there is still Lampard and so on.
I think it is just important for every player to give 100 per cent on the night. If they do that, whatever the result, then the West Ham fans will appreciate that and applaud them off.
What we don’t need is another thumping like we got against Forest and Man City, that will do nobody any good and will affect the way we play on Saturday in a vital game against Swansea.
No surprise Swansea are struggling
With all the players coming back to full fitness and two new players to add to the team, there are really no more excuses for West Ham, they have to perform and start winning.
I have gone for a battling 3-1 defeat at Chelsea, but I think we can turn that round against Michael Laudrup’s team and win it.
For me, it is no surprise that Swansea City are among those battling against relegation. They overachieved last season, but the amount of games and pressure that is put on you by playing in the Europa League has really taken its toll – only the top six can cope with that sort of schedule.
They still have some talented players, like Wilfried Bony, who is in fine form, but I have also noticed that their pretty passing game has led to very little end product in recent weeks and West Ham can take advantage of that.
Now is the time for the players to stand up and be counted. I think they will against Swansea and I am going for a 2-1 win.