Community gathers to celebrate Rathbone Market in Canning Town
- Credit: Archant
Residents gathered to celebrate the rejuvenation of a Canning Town market over the weekend.
The local community came together at Rathbone Market Square, in Barking Road, to enjoy two days filled with music, food and art.
The Rathbone Market Festival was held to celebrate the development of the market which has been on site since 1963.
The event was led by developers, English Cities Fund, a joint venture between Muse Developments, Legal and General Property and the Homes and Communities Agency.
Duncan Cumberland, ECf development director and head of the Rathbone Market Festival, said: “The festival was a tremendous success and injected a real sense of culture and community into the square over the weekend.
You may also want to watch:
“It was an honour to see so many residents and visitors turn out to celebrate the regenerated market square and we would like to thank everyone that has invested their time and efforts into making both the festival and the refurbishment of the square possible.
“Together with the redevelopment, and events such as this weekend’s festival, Rathbone Market has been given a real new lease of life.”
- 1 Luxury hotel with artisan food market and rooftop bar to open in Stratford
- 2 WATCH: Footage emerges of Beckton Alps ski slope
- 3 Driver, 18, wanted for driving wrong way through Blackwall Tunnel
- 4 Liverpool Street to Shenfield line suspended as person hit by train
- 5 Cause of death remains unknown after body found in disused Forest Gate pub
- 6 Body found in derelict pub in Forest Gate
- 7 Jailed man caught with knife in Stratford to be handed court order
- 8 What's on across east London this weekend?
- 9 Parks in Newham triumph with Green Flag awards
- 10 Newham nursery schools praised for inclusion work
During the festival, guests were able to enjoy a performance from Stratford East Singers and watched as London illustration artist, Lewis Campbell, developed a mural which showcased the market’s history.