Community garden up for award
A GREEN-fingered volunteer from Plaistow who hit on a novel way of growing fruit and vegetables is in the running for a national award.
Alison Skeat, aged 45, set up the Dirty Hands community garden project near her home on the Brooks Estate in 2008.
Since there is no soil at the site, which was formerly a piece of waste ground, plants are grown in a collection of builders’ bags and raised beds.
Although she started the project single-handed, Alison estimates around 100 volunteers have worked in the garden, based in Valetta Grove, in its first three years.
Now she is in the running for an award from national environmental group Climate Week in recognition of her ambitious undertaking.
You may also want to watch:
“I just wanted to grow my own fruit and vegetables for me and my four-year-old daughter,” she said.
“But I work full time and I’m a single parent, so there just weren’t enough hours in the day.
- 1 Jailed man caught with knife in Stratford to be handed court order
- 2 Worshippers at mosque in Upton Park aim to raise £35k for Royal British Legion's Poppy Appeal 2021
- 3 Cause of death remains unknown after body found in disused Forest Gate pub
- 4 Man given community order for 26 counts of criminal damage after scratching name into property
- 5 Body found in derelict pub in Forest Gate
- 6 Forest Gate triple shooting: 'Safety is everybody's business,' councillor says
- 7 Thames Barrier closing for 200th time amid potential east London flooding
- 8 Hundreds arrested after police crackdown on county lines
- 9 Player ratings: Cresswell shines for West Ham in KRC Genk victory
- 10 Newham mathematician to fill in for Countdown presenter and expectant mum Rachel Riley
“I thought if I could organise something like this and get other people involved it would make it easier.
“But I had no growing skills and I had never project managed anything before, so it was a massive learning curve.”
The group are always looking for more volunteers to help out and anyone who wants to get involved should email firstname.lastname@example.org