Christmas Toy Appeal: Sponsored swim raises £550
- Credit: Colin Grainger
A former Recorder editor has raised more than £550 for the Christmas Toy Appeal after completing a sponsored swim.
Colin Grainger took on the 50 length challenge for the 43rd consecutive year - with this year’s task made even more difficult thanks to the four week pool closure during lockdown.
But despite the lack of training, he dived in at Romford’s Sapphire Leisure Centre on the day it reopened to complete the feat.
He said: “Some activities were available to book in advance online, and I managed to get a slot for that morning.
“It was the first, and then the last, ten lengths that were the hardest this year - perhaps because of the four week lull in training.”
You may also want to watch:
All the money raised through sponsorship will go towards buying toys and other gifts for underprivileged youngsters in Newham to open on Christmas morning.
To sponsor Colin, visit gofundme.com/f/sponsored-swim-for-christmas-toy-appeal
- 1 Violent gang stuff sock in elderly woman's mouth and steal her jewellery
- 2 Our planet is in a terrible place
- 3 Council rents offices to ambulance service to save money
- 4 Covid vaccination hub opening in Westfield next week
- 5 Police appeal for help after woman raped in Beckton
- 6 Police release image after teenager stabbed in Forest Gate robbery
- 7 What a load of old rubbish: Fly-tippers keep charity staff out of building
- 8 Leyton Orient boss is expecting more transfer movement in the window
- 9 Arrests after girl, 16, falls onto tracks at King George V DLR
- 10 NHS nurse assaulted at east London hospital