Co-founder and life president Community Links Kevin Jenkins reveals his New Year wish
- Credit: Archant
For me the start of each New Year always brings renewed energy, enthusiasm and hope for all.
The making of New Year resolutions transfers such feelings into practical and tangible actions.
This year is no exception, and my wish for Newham is the establishment of a Newham Legacy Trust. This could provide ongoing revenue to fund future community development and services, which the community needs and priorities in the future.
The level of regeneration in Newham over the next 10 to 15 years is unique, and will never be repeated again. Literally billions and billions of pounds is being invested into creating a new look and future for Newham. My theory is that the associated community gain appears to me, to be uncoordinated, focused on short term wins and events rather than offering a coordinated response across the whole borough (not just the areas that are being physically regenerated) which focuses equally on the long term needs as well as the quick wins.
In parallel local authority funding which has been for so long the key source for funding community initiatives and services is reducing, and will continue to do so, at least for the foreseeable future. If we are to be in position to fund both new and existing community initiatives, the small clubs and programme of activities which enrich the community and the support initiatives that help everyone in the community we need to find a way of doing this in the future.
You may also want to watch:
A community legacy trust, for me is an simple and effective way of achieving this. Considering the amount of money being invested, earmarking just a relatively small proportion of the community gain money available will enable the establishment of a community trust that could generate significant annual funds available for community investment.
If we do not do this soon, I fear the opportunity will be lost to the future detriment of the community.
- 1 Luxury hotel with artisan food market and rooftop bar to open in Stratford
- 2 WATCH: Footage emerges of Beckton Alps ski slope
- 3 Driver, 18, wanted for driving wrong way through Blackwall Tunnel
- 4 Cause of death remains unknown after body found in disused Forest Gate pub
- 5 Body found in derelict pub in Forest Gate
- 6 Jailed man caught with knife in Stratford to be handed court order
- 7 Parks in Newham triumph with Green Flag awards
- 8 'We haven't waited to act': Newham primary schools extend days to help pupils catch up after pandemic
- 9 What's on across east London this weekend?
- 10 Who can get a Covid booster jab and how can I book one?