Cloud over music stores
STAFF at Newham’s HMV stores in Stratford and Beckton are fearing for their jobs after the embattled retailer announced that it will be axing some branches following bleak Christmas sales.
In a statement on Wednesday, HMV Group said that it will close 40 shops across the country this year.The statement caused alarm for staff at the retailer’s two branches at Gallions Reach in Beckton and the Stratford Centre.
One staff member, who preferred to remain anonymous, said: “We haven’t been told anything yet but obviously we are all anxious about our future.”
A spokesman for HMV said no decision had yet been taken on the future of the Newham stores but added the group would be focusing its review on where it operates multiple chains within the same area, as well as those outlets that have been under-performing.
He added that the fate of the two stores would be decided in the “next few weeks”.
You may also want to watch:
While the future of neither shop looks assured, in light of the spokesman’s statement, the odds on survival for the Stratford branch may be stronger given its proximity to the �1.5 billion Westfield Centre, which is scheduled to open in September, and wider regeneration in the area.
HMV also has outlets in Ilford, Romford and Walthamstow serving East Londoners.
- 1 Jailed man caught with knife in Stratford to be handed court order
- 2 Worshippers at mosque in Upton Park aim to raise £35k for Royal British Legion's Poppy Appeal 2021
- 3 Cause of death remains unknown after body found in disused Forest Gate pub
- 4 Body found in derelict pub in Forest Gate
- 5 Hundreds arrested after police crackdown on county lines
- 6 Forest Gate triple shooting: 'Safety is everybody's business,' councillor says
- 7 Man given community order for 26 counts of criminal damage after scratching name into property
- 8 Thames Barrier closing for 200th time amid potential east London flooding
- 9 Tom Hiddleston to appear as MCM Comic Con returns to ExCeL London in Royal Docks
- 10 Newham mathematician to fill in for Countdown presenter and expectant mum Rachel Riley