Cloud over music stores
STAFF at Newham’s HMV stores in Stratford and Beckton are fearing for their jobs after the embattled retailer announced that it will be axing some branches following bleak Christmas sales.
In a statement on Wednesday, HMV Group said that it will close 40 shops across the country this year.The statement caused alarm for staff at the retailer’s two branches at Gallions Reach in Beckton and the Stratford Centre.
One staff member, who preferred to remain anonymous, said: “We haven’t been told anything yet but obviously we are all anxious about our future.”
A spokesman for HMV said no decision had yet been taken on the future of the Newham stores but added the group would be focusing its review on where it operates multiple chains within the same area, as well as those outlets that have been under-performing.
He added that the fate of the two stores would be decided in the “next few weeks”.
You may also want to watch:
While the future of neither shop looks assured, in light of the spokesman’s statement, the odds on survival for the Stratford branch may be stronger given its proximity to the �1.5 billion Westfield Centre, which is scheduled to open in September, and wider regeneration in the area.
HMV also has outlets in Ilford, Romford and Walthamstow serving East Londoners.
- 1 Ex-police officer among group jailed for £850k intercept from rival gangs
- 2 Vandal targets St Antony statue outside church in Forest Gate
- 3 Rumours over empty Stratford estate homes quashed in meeting
- 4 Family of man who died after attack in Canning Town pays tribute to a 'loving, generous' father
- 5 'Petrified' cat reunited with kittens after 'pursuit' in Canning Town
- 6 Lewis Hamilton-backed vegan burger joint to open in Stratford
- 7 Architects awarded £300K contract for Stratford Station makeover
- 8 Blaze under control at block of flats being built in Canning Town
- 9 Newham charity hands out 500 food parcels to 'vulnerable' international students struggling with Covid-19
- 10 Woman arrested in Custom House fatal stabbing and shooting investigation