Newham councillor shortlisted for national award
- Credit: LGIU
A Newham councillor has been shortlisted in the 2019 Councillor Achievement Awards.
Cllr Mariam Dawood, who represents Manor Park, is in the running to win the young councillor of the year category - one of seven up for grabs.
The awards, now in their 10th year, recognise the work of councillors across England and Wales.
Jonathan Carr-West, chief executive of award organisers Local Govermnent Information Unit, said: "This year's shortlist is by far one of the most impressive we have seen to date, showcasing the achievements of the best and brightest councillors up and down the country.
"These councillors deliver for their communities in increasingly challenging and hostile times alongside severe budget constraints.
You may also want to watch:
"Despite all of that and more, their determination and resolve has left their communities safer, stronger and healthier, thanks to their efforts."
The winners will be announced at a Westminster ceremony on Tuesday, November 5.
- 1 'Dangerous and predatory' Newham man found guilty of child sex assault
- 2 Take a peek inside The Boleyn Tavern as it prepares to welcome punters
- 3 Investigation launched after two young men stabbed in Newham
- 4 Met launches summer operation as teen killings surge
- 5 Demand for urgent action as Newham lags behind in Covid-19 jabs
- 6 Seven charged after police crackdown on alleged county lines
- 7 Free cultural events and family activities in the Royal Docks announced
- 8 Richard House Children's Hospice sensory garden equipment stolen
- 9 Arrests in Ilford and East Ham as police target suspected county lines gang
- 10 Charting Jack the Ripper's 'rival' in the West Ham murders